Vision, mission and values
To achieve national recognition as a top-ranked program in Pharmaceutical Sciences.
We are a multidisciplinary department providing expertise in the areas of drug discovery, development and evaluation. We are dedicated to pursuing scholarship that creates new knowledge, to learning that disseminates and preserves knowledge, and to engagement that exchanges knowledge. Our mission is to:
- Provide an integrated, multidisciplinary education in the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences to students enrolled in our graduate and doctor of pharmacy programs;
- Maintain innovative research programs in the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences which contribute to our understanding of the design, synthesis, delivery, disposition, action and safety of biologically active compounds;
- Serve as a resource of expertise to the university and the community at large.
Values and commitments
The Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences will champion and be led by values and commitments that define its character, principles, standards, and expectations of its members. They include to:
- Foster appreciation of the critical and unique contributions made by basic pharmaceutical sciences to the professional and graduate pharmacy programs, and to the Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.
- Enhance the scientific and professional communities within and beyond the university.
- Strive for excellence, through assessment and iterative quality improvement.
- Maintain teaching and learning at the cutting edge of knowledge in our specializations.
- Promote and serve as models of lifelong learning.
- Champion collaboration and interdisciplinary learning and research.
- Create and sustain diversity and inclusion for faculty, students and staff and an environment that welcomes and values those of all social identities and backgrounds.
- Contribute to an atmosphere that conveys respect and supports outstanding communication.
- Pledge to act with honesty and integrity, and adhere to the highest standards of professional behavior.
- Act to make members, alumni and observers proud of the quality of the department and its offerings.