Steven M. Firestine Ph.D.
EACPHS, Room 3134
Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Degrees and Certifications
B.S. Chemistry - University of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI
PhD. Medicinal Chemistry - Purdue University, West Lafayette IN
Postdoc Enzymology - Pennsylvania State University, University Park PA
Positions and Employment
1988-1990 Undergraduate Research Assistant (Dr. James K. Coward), University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor, MI
1990-1995 Graduate Research Assistant (Dr. V. Jo Davission), Purdue University , West Lafayette, IN
1996-2000 Postdoctoral Fellow (Dr. Stephen J. Benkovic), The Pennsylvania State University,
University Park, PA
2000-2005 Assistant Professor of Medicinal Chemistry, Duquesne University Mylan School of Pharmacy, Pittsburgh PA
2005-2010 Assistant Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Wayne State University, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Detroit, MI
2010-2016 Associate Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Wayne State University, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Detroit, MI
2016-present Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Wayne State University, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Detroit, MI
Awards and Honors
1989 Gomberg Summer Research Fellowship, University of Michigan
1990 Merck Award, University of Michigan
1992-1993 NIH Predoctoral Training grant, Purdue University
1994-1995 American Chemical Society Division of Medicinal Chemistry Predoctoral Fellowship, Purdue University
1995 Jenkins/Knevel Award for Outstanding Graduate Research, Purdue University
1996-1999 Damon Runyon-Walter Winchell Fellowship, Penn State
1999 ASBMB Travel Award, Penn State
2005 Outstanding Young Investigator, Duquesne University
2012 Research Recognition Award, Outstanding Achievement in Basic Science Research, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Wayne State University
2015 Outstanding Graduate Mentor, Wayne State University
2016 Faculty Recognition Award in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Class of 2016, Wayne State University
Areas of Expertise
Medicinal Chemistry; Biochemistry; Molecular Biology; Enzymology; Computational Chemistry; Organic Chemistry
Primary Research Interest
Antiinfective Drug Discovery; Organic Chemistry; Biochemistry; Chemical Biology
- Rowe H.M., Hanson B.R., Runft D.L., Lin Q., Firestine S.M. and Neely M.N.* Modification of the CpsA Protein Reveals a Role in Alteration of the Streptococcus agalactiae Cell Envelope. Infect Immun., 1497-506, 2015.
- Kochanek, S., Clymer, T., Pakkala, V., Hebert, S., Reeping, K., Firestine, S.M.*, and Evanseck, J.D.*, Intramolecular Charge-Assisted Hydrogen Bond Strength in Pseudo-Chair Carboxyphosphate. J. Phys. Chem. B., 1184-91, 2015.
- Dewal, M. B. and Firestine, S. M.* Site-Directed Mutagenesis of Catalytic Residues in N5-Carboxyaminoimidazole Ribonucleotide Synthetase. Biochemistry, 52, 6559-6567, 2013.
- Islam, M.S. and Firestine, S.M.* Synthesis of substituted pyridyl-pyrimidines as potential protein-protein interaction inhibitors. J. Heterocycl. Chem., 50, 1043-1048, 2013.
- Li J., Zhu Y., Hazeldine S.T., Firestine S.M. and Oupický D*. Cyclam-Based Polymeric Copper Chelators for Gene Delivery and Potential PET Imaging. Biomacromolecules, 13, 3220-3227, 2012.
- Dewal, M.B., Wani, A.S., Vidaillac, C., Oupicky, D., Rybak, M.J. and Firestine, S.M.* Thieno[2,3-d]pyrimidinedione derivatives as antibacterial agents. Eur. J. Med. Chem., 51, 145-53, 2012.
- Fawaz, M.V., Topper, M.E. and Firestine, S.M.* The ATP-grasp enzymes. Bioorg. Chem., 39, 185-191, 2011.
- Vooturi, S.K., Dewal, M.B. and Firestine, S.M.* Examination of a synthetic benzophenone membrane-targeted antibiotic. Org. Biomol. Chem., 9, 6367-6372, 2011.
- Dewal, M.B. and Firestine, S.M.* Non-peptidic α-helical mimetics as protein-protein interaction inhibitors. Curr. Med. Chem., 18, 2420-2428, 2011.
- Vooturi, S.K. and Firestine, S.M. Synthetic Membrane-Targeted Antibiotics. Curr. Med. Chem.,. 2010, 17, 2292-2300.
- Thoden, J.B., Holden, H.M., Paritala, H., and Firestine, S.M. Structure and Site-Directed Mutagenesis ofAspergillus clavatus N5-Carboxylaminoimidazole Ribonucleotide Synthetase. Biochemistry, 2010, 49, 752-60.
- Paritala, H. and Firestine, S.M. Characterization of insulin ILPR sequences for their ability to adopt a G-quadruplex structure. Nucleosides Nucleotides Nucleic Acids, 2010, 29, 81-90.
- Vooturi, S.K. and Firestine, S.M.* Solution-Phase Parallel Synthesis of Novel Membrane-Targeted Antibiotics. J. Comb. Chem., 2010, 12, 151-160.
Poster and Oral Presentations: Over 100 presentations.