Philip L. Pokorski Ph.D.
313-577-0015 (P.A. Studies); 313-577-3763 (Pharmaceutical Sciences)
EACPHS, Room 2116
Assistant Professor, Physician Assistant Studies, Department of Health Care Sciences and
Assistant Professor (clinical), Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Degrees and Certifications
B.S., 1987, Chemistry
M.S., 1992, Medical Sciences/Pathology
Ph.D., 1997, Pharmaceutical Sciences/Toxicology
Certified Histologic Technician, 1987, American Board of Registry, American Society of Clinical Pathologists
Positions and Employment
2007-present, Clinical Assistant Professor of Health Care Sciencs & Pharmaceutical Sciences, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48202
1988-present, Forensic Histopathologist (Consulting), Macomb County Medical Examiner's Office, Mt. Clemens, MI
2006-present, Forensic Histopathologist (Consulting), St. Clair County Medical Examiner's Office, Port Huron, MI 48060
2004-2007, Instructional Assistant, Health Care Sciencs & Pharmaceutical Sciences, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48202
1998-2008, Lecturer, Department of Natural Sciences, University of Michigan-Dearborn, Dearborn, MI, 48128
Postdoctoral Associate (Nov. 1997 to Dec. 1998) - Institute of Chemical Toxicology, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 48201under the supervision of Prof. Joel G. Pounds.
Postdoctoral Associate (Jan 1999 to Dec 1999) - Institute of Chemical Toxicology, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 48201, under the supervision of Prof. Mary O. Dereski.
Awards and Honors
Pre-Doctoral Student Award for Meritorious Research in Toxicology - Metals Specialty Section of the Society of Toxicology-1997
Fellow, American Board of Forensic Examiners
Associate Member, American Society of Clinical Pathologists
Member, American Association for Advancement of Sciences
Primary Research Interest
- WJ Lindblad, RS Rees, PL Pokorski: Effect of cell density and hydrogen peroxide on vascular endothelial growth factor expression by human keratinocytes cultured on microcarrier beads. FASEB Journal, 21:710.4, 2007
- JG Pounds, PL Pokorski, DG Chen, M Mumtaz: Target Organ Variability in the Toxicity of Chemical Mixtures. The Toxicologist,54;2000.
- PL Pokorski, MJ McCabe, JG Pounds: Lead Inhibits meso-2,3-Dimercaptosuccinic Acid Induced Calcium Transients in Cultured Rhesus Monkey Kidney Cells. Toxicology, 134;19-26,1999.
- PL Pokorski, MJ McCabe, JG Pounds: DMSA Induces Calcium Transients in Cultured Rhesus Monkey Kidney Cells. Toxicology,138;81-91, 1999.
- PL Pokorski, MJ McCabe, JG Pounds: Lead exposure Inhibits DMSA and ATP-Induced Calcium Transients in Cultured Rhesus Monkey Kidney Cells. The Toxicologist, 42;1998.
- PL Pokorski: Lead Toxicity and Pharmacodynamic Properties of Dimercaptosuccinic Acid in Renal Proximal Tubular Cells.1997-Doctoral Thesis
- PL Pokorski, MJ McCabe, JG Pounds: Effects of DMSA on intracellular calcium mobilization in cultured Rhesus monkey kidney cells in the presence and absence of lead. The Toxicologist 36;1997.
- PL Pokorski, JG Pounds: Lead impairs the metabolism of 25-hydroxycholecalciferol in cultured Rhesus monkey cells. The Toxicologist, 30;1996.