Academic advisors collecting school supplies and toiletries for Detroit schools
The WSU Academic Advising Community has partnered with Detroit Public Schools and the AAUP-AFT Local 6075 for a spring/summer service project by collecting classroom supplies for two specific Detroit schools – Burton International Academy and Golightly Education Center.
The supplies listed below may be dropped off in the box outside the WSU Applebaum Student Affairs Office through August 16:
- Headphones – Much of the student curriculum is online. Students must plug in headphones to the desktop/laptop and listen to items that are read to them and answer questions. They are often in short supply.
- Zippered Pencil Cases – Students need zippered pencil cases because they take up less room and allow for students to safely be responsible for their supplies. Would especially like ones which are 3-hole punched for binders.
- Travel-Size Deodorants, Lotions, Toothbrushes, Toothpaste and Feminine Hygiene Products – These are items that most people use every day, however many of the students simply do not own their own hygiene products.
- Clorox Wipes – Everything must be wiped down, all the time.
- Dry Erase Markers w/the Erasers – Encouraging students to write has become easier due to the use of individual whiteboards, however, students need the proper utensils to do it. Dry erase markers and the erasers are the new chalk.
There is a box labeled outside of the Office of Student Affairs, Room 1600, to drop any donations. Supplies will be collected until August 16, 2019.
If you wish to make a monetary donation instead of purchasing supplies, personal checks will be accepted. Please make check payable to AAUP-AFT, Local 6075, and write “Detroit Schools” in the memo portion of the check. You can give checks to Robert Hellar in the Office of Student Affairs, Room 1600.