Dean and Professor
Dean's Suite, Room 2202
259 Mack Avenue
Detroit, MI 48201
Degrees and Certifications
- Doctor of Philosophy, Pharmacology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 1999
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry/Toxicology, Eastern Michigan University, 1994
- Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Medical University of South Carolina College of Pharmacy, 2001-2003
- Division of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Arkansas Medical Sciences, 1991-2001
Positions and Employment
- August 2021: Dean, Wayne State University Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- August 2021: Professor, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Wayne State University Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- 2018-2021: Department Head, Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences, University of Georgia
- 2017-2021: Professor, Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences, University of Georgia
- 2012-2019: Director, Interdisciplinary Toxicology Program, University of Georgia
- 2010-2017: Associate Professor with Tenure, Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences, University of Georgia
- 2003-2021: Adjunct Faculty Member, Interdisciplinary Toxicology Program, University of Georgia
- 2003-2010: Assistant Professor, Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences, University of Georgia
Awards and Honors
- 2016 American Society of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics Outstanding Achievement Award in Toxicology
- 2012 University of Georgia, College of Pharmacy Meritorious Research Productivity Award
- 2011 Member UGA Teaching Academy
- 2009 University of Georgia Excellence in Undergraduate Research Mentoring Award
- 2008 Teacher of Year, College of Pharmacy, University of Georgia
- 2006 Gordon’s Research Conference Travel Award to attend the Mechanisms of Toxicity in Waterville, Maine
- 2005 Lilly Teaching Fellowship, University of Georgia
- 2005 Distinguished Alumni Award Department of Pharmacology, Wayne State University
- 2004 Georgia Cancer Coalition Distinguished Scholar Award
- 2000-2003 National Institutes of Health National Research Service Award
- 1998 Graduate Student Achievement Award Department of Pharmacology, Wayne State University
- 1994-1999 Graduate Assistantship Wayne State University Department of Pharmacology
- 1994 Toxicology Achievement Award from the Department of Chemistry at Eastern Michigan University
- Society of Toxicology
- American Society of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics
- Rho Chi Pharmaceutical Honor Society
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Biochemical Pharmacology
- Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics
- Chemico-Biological Interactions (Associate Editor)
- Toxicological Sciences (Associate Editor)
Primary Research Interest
Molecular mechanisms in cell death, specifically role of lipids and water disinfection byproducts.
- US Department of Defense Prostate Cancer Research Program Idea Development Award- Partnering PI
- Role PI (15% effort)
- September 2016 to August 2021 (NCE)
- Total =$561,960
- US Department of Defense Prostate Cancer Research Program Idea Development Award- Partnering PI
- Role CO-I (Shenoy PI, 15% effort) September 2016 to August 2021 (NCE)
- Total =$472,500
- Sunshine Biopharma Inc. Co-I (20% Effort), PI = Pegan
- $225,404.00 Total Costs
- January 1, 2021, to December 31, 2021
Blood Lipidomic Alterations in Prostate Cancer Patients Undergoing Treatment
- Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center
- University of Iowa School of Medicine
- PI: Cummings
- Status: Ongoing, recruiting patients
- Estimated dates: January 2020 to December 2022
Visit Dr. Cummings' Google Scholar bibliography for more publications.
- W. Najahi-Missaoui, R.D. Arnold and B.S. Cummings, Safe Nanoparticle: Are we there yet? Int J Mol Sci, 22(1):385, 2020.
- W. Najahi-Missaoui, N.D. Quach, P.R. Somanath and B.S. Cummings, Liposomes Targeting p21 activated kinase-1 (PAK-1) and selective for secretory phospholipase A2 (sPLA2) decrease cell viability and induce apoptosis in metastatic triple-negative breast cancer cells. Int J Mol Sci, 21(24):9396, 2020.
- M. Pfohl, L. Ingram, L. Marques, A. Auclair, B. Barlock, R. Jamwal, D. Anderson., B.S. Cummings and A.L. Slitt, Perfluoroctanesulfonic acid (PFOS) and perfluorohexanoic acid (PHHxS) alter the blood lipidome and the hepatic proteome in a murine model of diet- induced obesity. Toxicological Sciences, 178(2): 311-324, 2020.
- Verma, W.N. Missaoui, S. Artham, B.S. Cummings, P.R. and Somanath, Sterically stabilized liposomes targeting PAK1 and sPLA2 suppress prostate cancer growth and metastasis. Oncology Letters, (5):179, 2020, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32934746/.
- Verma, S. Arthan, Adil MS Alwhabi, B.S. Cummings and P.R. Somanath, PAK-1 inhibitor IPA-3 mitigates metastatic prostate cancer-induced bone remodeling. Biochem Pharmacol, 77:113943, 2020.
- J. Pang, T. Mortuza, C.A. White, S. Muralidhara, B.S. Cummings and J.V. Bruckner, Toxicokinetics, of cis- and trans-permehtrin: Influence of isomer, maturation and sex. Toxicol Sci, 174(1): 25-37, 2020.
- S. Pati, P. Angel, R.R. Drake, J.J. Wagner and B.S. Cummings, Lipidomic changes in the rat hippocampus following cocaine conditioning, extinction, and reinstatement of drug seeking. Brain Behav, 2019;00e01451. https://doi.org/10.1002/brb3.1451.
- T.C. Glenn, T.W. Pierson, N.J. Bayona-Vasquez, T.J. Kieran, S.L. Hoffberg, J.C. Thomas IV, D.E. Lefever, J.W. Finger, B. Gao, X. Bian, S. Louha, R.T. Kolli, K.E. Bentley, J. Rushmore, K. Wong, T.I Shaw, M.J. Rothrock Jr, A.M. McKee, T.L. Guo, R. Mauricio, M. Molina, B.S. Cummings, L.H. Lash, K. Lu, G.S. Gilbert, S.P. Hubbell, B.C. Faircloth, Adapterama II: universal amplicon sequencing on Illumina platforms (TaggiMatrix). PeerJ 7:e7786, https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.7786, 2019.
- W. Najahi-Missaoui, N.D. Quach, A. Jenkins, I. Dabke, P.R. Somanath and B.S. Cummings, Effect of P21-activated kinase 1 (PAK-1) inhibition on cancer cell growth, migration, and invasion. Pharmacol Res Perspect, 7(5): e00518, eCollection, 2019.
- N.D. Quach, S.P. Kaur, M.W. Eggert, L. Ingram, D. Gosh, S. Sheth, T. Nagy, M.R. Dawson, R.D. Arnold and B.S. Cummings, Paradoxical role of glypican-1 in prostate cancer and tumor growth. Sci Reports, 9(1): 11478, 2019.
- S.P. Kaur and B.S. Cummings, Role of glypicans in regulation of the tumor microenvironment and cancer progression. Biochem Pharmacol, 168:108-118, 2019.
- P. Sethi, J.V. Bruckner, T.B. Mortuza, B.S. Cummings, S. Muralidhara and C.A. White, Plasma protein and lipoprotein binding of cis- and trans-permethrin and deltamethrin in adult humans and rats. Drug Metab Dispos, 47(9): 941-948, 2019.
- L.M.A. Barnett and B.S. Cummings, Cellular and molecular mechanisms of kidney toxicity. Semin Nephrol, 39(2): 141-151, 2019.
- R.T. Kolli, T.C. Glen, B.T. Brown, S.P. Kaur, L.M. Barnett, L.H. Lash and B.S. Cummings, Bromate-induced changes in p21 DNA methylation and histone acetylation in renal cells. Toxicol Sci, 168(2), 460-473, 2019.
- T. Mortuza, G.L. Edwards, C.A. White, V. Patel, B.S. Cummings and J.V. Bruckner, Age- dependency of blood-brain barrier penetration by cis- and trans-permethrin in the rat. Drug Metab Dispos, 47(3), 234-237, 2019.
- S. Pati, L.M. Ingram, M.K. Sun, J.J. Wagner and B.S. Cummings, Localization and expression of CTP:Phosphocholine cytidyltransferase in rat brain following cocaine exposure. J Chem Neuroanat, 96: 1-6, 2019.
- S. Sahin-Bolukbasi, N. Sahin, M.N. Tahir, C. Arici, E. Cevik, N. Gurbuz, I. Ozdemir and B.S. Cummings, Novel N-heterocyclic carben silver (I) complexes; Synthesis, structural characterization, and anticancer activity. Inorganic Chimica Acta, 486: 711-718, 2019.
- N. Sahin, S. Sahin-Bolukbasi, M.N. Tahir, C. Arici, E. Cevik, N. Gurbuz, I. Ozdemir and B.S. Cummings, Synthesis, characterization and anticancer activity of allyl substituted N- Heterocyclic carbene silver(I) complexes. J Molec Structure, 1179: 92-99, 2019.
- T. Mortuza, S. Muralidhara, C.A. White, B.S. Cummings, C. Hines and J.V. Bruckner, Effect of dose and exposure protocol on the toxicokinetics and first-pass elimination of trichloroethylene and 1,1,1-trichloroethane. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol, 360:185-192, 2018.
- L.M.A. Barnett and B.S. Cummings, Nephrotoxicity and renal pathophysiology: A contemporary perspective. Toxicol Sci, 164(2): 379-390, 2018.
- W.N. Missaoui, R.D. Arnold and B.S. Cummings, Toxicological Status of Nanoparticles: What we know and what we don’t know, Chem Biol Interact, 295: 1-12, 2018.
- T. Mortuza, C. Chen, C.A. White, B.S. Cummings, S. Muralidhara, D. Gullick and J.V. Bruckner, Toxicokinetics of deltamethrin: Dosage dependency, vehicle effects, and low- dose age-equivalent dosimetry in rats. Toxicol Sci, 162(1); 327-336, 2018.
- S. Pati, S. Krishna, J.H. Lee, M.K. Ross, C.B. de La Serre, D.A. Harn, J.J. Wagner, N.M. Filipov and B.S. Cummings, Effect of high-fat diet and age on the blood lipidome and circulating endocannabinoids of female C57BL/6 mice. Biochim Et Biophys Acta- Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids, 1863(1); 26-39, 2018.
- M. Amaraneni, J. Pang, T.B. Mortuza, S. Muralidhara, B.S. Cummings, C.A. White, C.V. Vorhees, J. Zastre and J.V. Bruckner, Brain uptake of deltamethrin in rats as a function of plasma protein binding and blood-brain barrier. Neurotoxicology, 62; 24-29, 2017.
- M. Amaraneni, J. Pang, J.V. Bruckner, S. Muralidhara, T.B. Mortuza, D. Gullick, S. Hooshfar, C.A. White and B.S. Cummings, Influence of maturation on In Vivo tissue to plasma partition coefficients for Cis- and Trans-permethrin. J Pharm Sci, 106(8); 2144- 2151, 2017.
- N.E. Scholpa*, R.T. Kolli*, M. Moore, R.D. Arnold, T.C. Glenn and B.S. Cummings, Nephrotoxicity of epigenetic inhibitors used for the treatment of cancer. Chem Biol Interact, 258; 21-29, 2016.
- B.T. McPhail, C.A. White, B.S. Cummings, S. Muralidhara, J.T. Wilson and J.V. Bruckner, The immature rat as a potential model for chemical risks to children, Ontogeny of selected hepatic P450s. Chem Biol Interact, 256; 167-77, 2016.
- M. Amaraneni, A. Sharma, J. Pang, S. Muralidhara, B.S. Cummings, C.A. White, J.V. Bruckner and J. Zastre, Plasma protein binding limits the blood brain barrier permeability of the pyrethroid insecticide, deltamethrin. Tox Lett, 250-251, 21-28, 2016.
- S. Pati, B. Nie, R.D. Arnold and B.S. Cummings, Extraction, chromatographic and mass spectrometric methods for lipid analysis. Biomed Chromatogr, 30(5), 695-709, 2016.
- D.R. Gullick, J.V. Bruckner, C.A. White, C. Chen., B.S. Cummings and M.G. Bartlett, Quantitation of deltamethrin in rat liver and muscle using dispersive solid phase extractions with GC-NCI-MS. J AOAC International, 99(3): 813-820, 2016.
- Al-Azayzih, W.N. Missaoui, B.S. Cummings and P.R. Somananth, Liposomal- mediated delivery of the p21 activated kinase-1 (PAK-1) inhibitor IPA3 limits prostate tumor growth in vivo. Nanomedicine-Nanotechnology Biology and Medicine, S1549-9634 (16): 2016.
- N.E. Scholpa, S.B. Briggs J.J. Wagner and B.S. Cummings, Cyclin-Dependent Kinase Inhibitor 1a (p21) modulates response to cocaine and motivated behaviors. J Pharmacol Exp Ther, 35(7): 56-65, 2016.
- P.K. Sethi, C.A. White, B.S. Cummings, R.N. Hines, S. Muralidhara and J.V. Bruckner, Ontogeny of plasma proteins, albumin and binding of diazepam, cyclosporine and deltamethrin, Pediatric Research, 79(3): 409-415, 2016.