Michael Veve PharmD, MPH
Assistant Professor (Clinical)
Michael Veve PharmD, MPH
Degrees and Certifications
- 2020 - Master of Public Health, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
- 2014 - Doctor of Pharmacy, Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Albany, NY
Positions and Employment
- 2017–Present - Clinical Assistant Professor, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, College of Pharmacy, Knoxville, TN
- 2014–2017 - Contingent Clinical Pharmacist, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI
- 2012–2013 - Veterans Affairs Learning Opportunity Residency (VALOR) student, Stratton Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Albany, NY
- 2011–2013 - Pharmacy Intern, CVS/Pharmacy, Latham, NY
- 2010–2014 - Outcomes Research Project Manager, Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Albany, NY
Awards and Honors
- 2019 - Professor of the Year, 2018-2019, University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Pharmacy
- 2016 - IDWeek Travel Grant recipient
- 2015 - ASM ICAAC Infectious Diseases Fellows Grant recipient
- 2015-2017 - Making a Difference in Infectious Diseases, Travel Grant recipient
- 2020–Present - American Public Health Association
- 2018–Present - Tennessee Department of Health, Multi-Disciplinary Advisory Group on Healthcare
- 2018–Present - Infectious Diseases Educator Network
- 2018–Present - Tennessee Pharmacists Association
- 2017–Present - American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- 2017–2019 - The Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America
- 2016–2017 - Infectious Diseases Society of America
- 2015–Present - Making a Difference in Infectious Diseases (MAD-ID) Research Network
- 2015–Present - Society of Infectious Diseases Pharmacists, Associate member
1. *Veve MP, McCurry ED, Cooksey GE, Shorman MA. Epidemiology and outcomes of Non-HACEK infective endocarditis in the southeast United States. PLOS One. 2020 Mar 10;15(3):e0230199.
2. *Al-Osaimy S, Jorgensen SCJ, Lagnf Am, Melvin S, Mynatt RP, Carlson TJ, Garey KW, Allen D,Venugopalan V, Veve M, Athans V, Saw S, Yost CN, Davis SL, Rybak MJ. Real-world Multicenter Analysis of Clinical Outcomes and Safety of Meropenem-Vaborbactam in Patients Treated for Serious Gram-Negative Bacterial Infections. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2020 Mar;7(3) ofaa051.
3. *Jorgensen SCJ, Murray KP, Lagnf AM, Melvin S, Bhatia S, Shamim MD, Smith JR, Brade KD, Simon S, Nagel J, Williams K, Ortwine J, Veve MP, Truong J, Davis SL, Rybak MJ. A multicenter evaluation of vancomycin-associated acute kidney injury in hospitalized patients with acute bacterial skin and skin structure infections. Infect Dis Ther. 2020 Mar;9(1):89-106.
4. *Lorson W, Veve MP, Heidel E, Shorman MA. The role of troponin as a predictor of inpatient mortality in infective endocarditis. BMC Infect Dis. 2020 Jan 8;20(1):24.
5. *Humphrey C, Veve MP, Walker B, Shorman MA. Long-term vancomycin use had low risk of ototoxicity. PLOS One. 2019 Nov 6;14(11):e0224561.
6. Pogue JM, Kaye KS, Veve MP, Gerlach A, Patel TS, Davis SL, Dhar S, Puzniak L, File TM, Bonomo RA, Perez F. Real world treatment of multi-drug resistant (MDR) or extensively-drug resistant (XDR) P. aeruginosa infections with ceftolozane/tazobactam (C/T) versus a polymyxin or aminoglycoside (Poly/AG) based regimen: a multicenter comparative effectiveness study. Clin Infect Dis. 2019 Sep 23.
pii: ciz816. d
7. *Chastain DB, Veve MP, Wagner JL. Abnormal QTc syndrome in HIV-infected patients: A review of prevalence and risk factors. Antivir Ther. 2019;24(6):459-465.
8. *Chaudhry SB, Veve MP, Wagner JL. Cephalosporins: A focus on side chains and β-Lactam crossreactivity. Pharmacy (Basel). 2019 Jul 29;7(3). pii: E103.
9. Veve MP, Stuart M, Davis SL. Comparison of neutropenia associated with ceftaroline or ceftriaxone in patients receiving at least 7 Days of therapy for severe infections. Pharmacotherapy. 2019 Aug;39(8):809-815
10. Veve MP, January SE, Kenney RM, Zoratti EM, Zervos MJ, Davis SL. Impact of reported β-Lactam allergy on management of methicillin-sensitive Staphylococcus aureus bloodstream infections. J Pharm Pract. 2019 Apr 16:897190019841737.
11. *Butts A, Reitler P, Nishimoto AT, DeJarnette C, Estredge LR, Peters TL, Veve MP, Rogers PD, Palmer GE. A systematic screen reveals a wide variety of approved medications induce antifungal resistance in several Candida species. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2019 Apr 25;63(5). pii: e00054-19.
12. *Veve MP and Wagner JL. Lefamulin: review of a promising novel pleuromutilin antibiotic. Pharmacotherapy. 2018 Sep;38(9):935-946.
13. Veve MP, Greene JB, Williams AM, Davis SL, Lu N, Shnayder Y, Li DX, Noureldine SI, Richmon JD, Lin LO, Hanasono MM, Pipkorn P, Jackson RS, Hornig JD, Light T, Wax MK, Yiu Y, Bekeny J, Old M, Hernandez D, Patel UA, Ghanem TA. Multicenter assessment of antibiotic prophylaxis spectrum on surgical infections in head and neck cancer microvascular reconstruction. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2018 Jul;159(1):59-67.
14. Athans V, Veve MP, Davis SL. Trowels and tribulations: review of antimicrobial-impregnated bone cements in prosthetic joint surgery. Pharmacotherapy. 2017 Dec;37(12):1565-1577.
15. Veve MP, Davis SL, Williams AM, McKinnon JE, Ghanem TA. Considerations for antibiotic prophylaxis in head and neck cancer surgery. Oral Oncology. 2017 Sep 21. pii: S1368-8375(17)30281-6.
16. Flynt LK, Veve MP, Samuel LP, Tibbetts RJ. Ceftolozane-tazobactam susceptibility testing of Pseudomonas aeruginosa: a comparison of Etest to broth microdilution. J Clin Microbiol. 2016 Dec 28;55(1):334-335.
17. Veve MP, Wagner JL, Kenney RM, Grunwald JM, Davis SL. Comparison of fosfomycin to ertapenem for outpatient or step-down therapy of extended spectrum beta-lactamase urinary tract infections. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2016 Jul;48(1):56-60.
Manuscripts Submitted for Publication
1. *Cooksey GE, Moye RA, Epps JL, Patel N, Shorman MA, Veve MP. Impact of a plan of care protocol on patient outcomes in people who inject drugs with infective endocarditis. J Infect Dis. Accepted for publication February 2020. In press.
2. *Morelli MK, Veve MP, Lorson W, Shorman MA. Candida spp. infective endocarditis: characteristics and outcomes of twenty cases with focus on injection drug use as a predisposing risk factor. Under review at Med Mycol. 2020
3. *Mercuro NJ and Veve MP. Clinical utility of lefamulin: if not now, when? Under review at Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2020.
4. *Veve MP, Cernasev A, Cory T, Summers N, Miller M, Kodidela S, Kumar S. Opioid use disorders in people living with HIV/AIDS: A review of implications for patient outcomes, drug interactions, and neurocognitive disorders. Under review at AIDS Reviews. 2020.
5. *Cernasev A, Frederick KD, Hall EA, Veve MP, Hohmeier KC. “Don’t label them as addicts!” Student pharmacists’ views on the stigma associated with opioid use disorder. Under review at Res Social Adm Pharm. 2020.
6. *Morelli MK, Veve MP, Shorman MA. Maternal bacteremia caused by Staphylococcus aureus with a focus on infective endocarditis. Under review at Open Forum Infect Dis. 2020.
7. *Veve MP, Akhtar Y, McKeown PP, Morelli MK, Shorman MA. Early experience with Penumbra percutaneous mechanical aspiration vs valve surgery for tricuspid-valve infective endocarditis in people who inject drugs. Under review at Ann Thorac Surg. 2020.
8. *Veve MP, Patel N, Smith ZA, Yeager SD, Wright LR, Shorman MA. Comparison of dalbavancin to best alternative therapies for outpatient treatment of invasive Gram-positive infections. Under review at Inter J Antimicrob Agents. 2020.
9. *Wang J, Hobbs M, Heidel E, Veve MP, Shorman MA. Clinical characteristics and outcomes of endogenous endophthalmitis in the era of increasing injection drug use. Under review at BMC Opthalmol. 2020.
1. *Nabors BR and Veve MP. Chapter-31 Vaccines; In: Ray SD, editor. Side Effects of Drugs Annual: A worldwide yearly survey of new data in adverse drug reactions. Vol 42; Elsevier. Submitted for Initial Review. 2020.
2. *Veve MP and Athans V. Chapter-31 Vaccines; In: Ray SD, editor. Side Effects of Drugs Annual: A worldwide yearly survey of new data in adverse drug reactions. Vol 41; Elsevier; 2019.
3. *Veve MP and Athans V. Interactive Case: Antimicrobial stewardship in critical care. Critical Case. Critical Care Self-Assessment Program (CCSAP). American College of Clinical Pharmacy. 2019.
4. *Veve MP and Athans V. Chapter-31 Vaccines; In: Ray SD, editor. Side Effects of Drugs Annual: A worldwide yearly survey of new data in adverse drug reactions. Vol 40; Elsevier; 2018. p. 383-413.