Christopher Alan Giuliano PharmD, MPH
Associate Professor (Clinical)
EACPHS, Room 4143
Christopher Alan Giuliano PharmD, MPH
Degrees and Certifications
- 2017 - M., Public Health, Wayne State University
- 2008 - Pharm.D., University of Toledo
- 2006 - B.S., Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toledo
- 2015 - Graduate Certificate of Public Health Practice
- 2014 - American Heart Association Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support
- 2007 - American Heart Association Basic Life Support
Positions and Employment
- 2016-Present - Associate Professor (Clinical) of Pharmacy Practice at Wayne State University
- 2011-Present - Internal Medicine Clinical Specialist at St. John Hospital and Medical Center
- 2010-2016 - Assistant Professor (Clinical) of Pharmacy Practice at Wayne State University
- 2017-Present - American College of Cardiology
- 2008-Present - American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- 2007-Present - American Society of Health-System Pharmacists
- 2009-2013 - American College of Clinical Pharmacy
Areas of Expertise
- Internal medicine
- Health systems outcomes research
- Giuliano C, Martirosov AL, Lipari M, Salinitri F, Wilhelm S, Lahiri M, Binienda J. Incorporating Verbal Defense into Problem-Based Learning. Current in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. Accepted for publication March 2020.
- Hanni C, Petrovitch E, Ali M, Gibson W, Giuliano C, Holzhausen J, Makowski C, Morin A, Patel N, Sutter D, To L, Yost R. Outcomes Associated with Apixaban versus Warfarin in Patients with Renal Dysfunction. Blood Advances. Accepted for Publication February 2020.
- Neu R, Leonard MA, Dehoorne ML, Scalia SJ, Kale-Pradhan PB, Giuliano C. Impact of Pharmacist Involvement in Heart Failure Transition of Care. Ann Pharmacother. 2020 Mar;54(3):239-246.
- McConachie SM, Giuliano C, Mohammad I, Kale-Pradhan PB. Adverse drug reactions in drug information databases: does presentation affect interpretation? J Med Libr Assoc. 2020; 108(1):76-83.
- Dey S, Gudipati S, Giuliano C, Zervos MJ, Monk JM, Szubin R, Jorgensen SCJ, Sakoulas G, Berti AD. Reduced Production of Bacterial Membrane Vesicles Predicts Mortality in ST45/USA600 Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Bacteremia. Antibiotics. 2019 Dec 18;9(1). doi: 10.3390/antibiotics9010002.
- Ortwine JK, Zasowski EJ, Pogue JM, Hanni C, Giuliano C, Casapao AM, Mynatt R, Rybak MJ. Relationship Status between Vancomycin Loading Dose and Treatment Failure in Patients with MRSA Bacteremia: It’s Complicated. Infect Dis Ther. 2019; 8(4): 627-640.
- Margolis A, Giuliano C. Making the switch. From case studies to N-of-1 trials. Epilepsy Behav Rep. 2019; 12: doi: 10.1016/j.ebr.2019.100336.
- French N, Giuliano C, Dehoorne-Smith M. Evaluation of a Hospital Pharmacist Annual Competency Program. Hosp Pharm. 2019; 54(5):300-308.
- Chua M, Giuliano C, Selveraj P. How to address a research question. Introduction to clinical research. Amarillo, TX: Hale Publishing; 2011:9-18. I was a co-author of this textbook chapter. The chapter was reviewed by the book editor.
- Claeys KC, Zasowski EJ, Trinh TD, Casapao AM, Pogue JM, Bhatia N, Mynatt RP, Wilson SS, Arthur C, Welch R, Sherwin R, Hafeez W, Levine DP, Kaye KS, Delgado G, Giuliano CA, Takla R, Rieck C, Johnson LB, Murray KP, Gordon J, Reyes K, Hartman P, Davis SL, Rybak MJ. Open-Label Randomized Trial of Early Clinical Outcomes of Ceftaroline Fosamil Versus Vancomycin for the Treatment of Acute Bacterial Skin and Skin Structure Infections at Risk of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Infect Dis Ther. [Epub ahead of print] doi: 10.1007/s40121-019-0242-5.
- Giuliano CA, Patel CR, Kale PB. A Guide to Bacterial Culture Identification and Results Interpretation. Pharmacy and Therapeutics. 2019;44:2-10.
- Crisher M, Giuliano CA, Hartner C. Insulin Detemir Versus Insulin Glargine in the Hospital: Do Hypoglycemia Rates Differ? Clinical Diabetes. [Epub ahead of print] https://doi.org/10.2337/cd18-0065.
- Sedlacek J, Giuliano CA, Baisden K, Lipari M. "Bite-sized" rivaroxaban patient education and its effect on knowledge. Int J Clin Pharm. 2019; 41(1):6-8.
- Giuliano CA, Binienda J, Kale-Pradhan P, Fakih M. Evaluation of pharmacist performance of antimicrobial stewardship across a healthcare system. Qual Health Res. 2018;28(5):745-755.
- Wesolek JL, Mcorton K, Delgado G, Giuliano C. Effect of vancomycin initial dosing on SIRS resolution in patients with MRSA bacteremia. J Chemother. 2018;30(2):101-106.
- Alawy HA, Lucey M, Alexander R, Giuliano CA. Impact of patient controlled analgesia lockout interval in post-operative pain management. J Perioper Pract. 2018;28:7-8.
- Brown SW, Tutag Lehr V, French N, Giuliano CA. Can a short video improve inhaler use in urban youth? J Ped Pharmacol Ther. 2017; 22(4):293-99.
- Giuliano C, Nofar T, Edwin SB. Can a Short Video Improve Apixaban Knowledge in an Inpatient Setting? Pharmacy and Therapeutics. 2017; (42)4. 256-260.
- Masse J, Giuliano CA, Brown S, Paxton RA. Association Between the Use of Long-Acting Insulin and Hypoglycemia in Nondiabetic Patients in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit. J Intensive Care Med. 2018;33(5):317-21.
- Giuliano CA, Patel CR, Kale-Pradhan PB. Is the Combination of Piperacillin-Tazobactam and Vancomycin Associated with Development of Acute Kidney Injury? A Meta-analysis. Pharmacotherapy. 2016 Dec;36(12):1217-1228.
- McGonigal KH, Giuliano CA, Hurren J. Safety and Efficacy of a Pharmacist-Managed Patient-Controlled Analgesia Service in Postsurgical Patients. Pain Pract. 2017; 17(7): 859-65.
- Giuliano C, Moser L. “Flippin Lit” Evaluation of a flipped drug literature evaluation course. The American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 2016:80(4):66.
- Giuliano C, Gortney J, Binienda J. Predictors of performance on the pharmacy curriculum outcomes assessment. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2016; 8(2):148-52.
- Giuliano C, Rybak MJ. Efficacy of triclosan as an antimicrobial hand soap and its potential impact on antimicrobial resistance: a focused review. Pharmacotherapy. 2015; 35 (3):328-36.
- Brancaccio A, Giuliano C, McNorton K, Delgado G Jr. Impact of a phenytoin loading dose program in the emergency department. American Journal of Health- System Pharmacy. 2014; 71(21):1862-9.
- Alvarez CA, Giuliano C, Haase KK, Thompson KA, Frei CR, Forcade NA, Brouse SD, Mortensen EM, Bell T, Bedimo RJ, Toups NM, Hall RG. Empiric guideline-recommended weight based dosing in ICU patients with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia. The American Journal of Medical Sciences. 2014; 348 (5): 371-6.
- Hall RG, Blaszczyk AT, Thompson KA, Brouse SD, Giuliano C, Frei CR, Forcade NA, Mortensen EM, Bell T, Bedimo RJ, Alvarez CA. Impact of empiric weight-based vancomycin dosing on nephrotoxicity and mortality in geriatric patients with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia. Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics. 2014; 39(6):653-7.
- Giuliano C, Moser LR, Poremba V, Jones J, Martin E, Slaughter RL. Use of a unified learning style model in a pharmacy curricula. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2014; 6(1) 41-57.
- Hall RG 2nd, Hazlewood KA, Brouse SD, Giuliano C, Haase KK, Frei CR, Forcade NA, Bell T, Bedimo RJ, Alvarez CA. Empiric guideline-recommended weight based dosing and nephrotoxicity rates in patients with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia: a retrospective cohort study. BMC Pharmacology and Toxicology. 2013;14:12.
- Giuliano C, Kale-Pradhan P, Johsnson LB. Early response of ceftaroline in the treatment of soft tissue infections. Expert Reviews of Clinical Pharmacology. 2012; 5(5)509-512.
- Giuliano C, Edwin S, Kador H, Mooney M. Eptifibatide induced thrombocytopenia and thrombosis. Journal of Pharmacy Technology. 2012;28:146-50.
- Giuliano C, Smalligan R, Chua M. Role of dexamethasone in the prevention of migraine recurrence in the acute care setting: A review. Postgraduate Medicine. 2012;124(3):110-5.
- Giuliano C, Wilhelm S, Kale-Pradhan P. Are proton pump inhibitors associated with the development of community-acquired pneumonia? A meta-analysis. Expert Reviews of Clinical Pharmacology. 2012; 5(3):337-44.
- Hall RG 2nd, Giuliano C, Haase KK, Hazlewood KA, Frei CR, Forcade NA, Brouse SD, Bell T, Bedimo RJ, Alvarez CA. Empiric guideline-recommended weight-based vancomycin dosing and mortality in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia: a retrospective cohort study. BMC Infectious Diseases. 2012;12(1):104.
- Giuliano C, Kale-Pradhan P, Dehoorne-Smith M Pancreatic enzymes: digesting the changes. Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 2011; May;45(5):658-66.
- Giuliano C, Haase KK, Hall R. Use of vancomycin pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic properties in the treatment of MRSA infections. Expert Review of Anti-infective Therapy. 2010; 8 (1): 95-106.
- Giuliano C, Wilhelm S, Kale-Pradhan P. Pharmacokinetic changes secondary to roux en Y gastric bypass. Advances in Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety. 2012; S1:1-6.
- Kale-Pradhan PB, Patel CR, Giuliano CA. Is the Combination of Piperacillin-Tazobactam and Vancomycin Associated with Development of Acute Kidney Injury? Pharmacotherapy. 2016; 36(12):206e
- Masse J, Giuliano C, Paxton R. Hypoglycemia with the use of long acting insulin in non-diabetic ICU patients. Critical Care Medicine. 2015; 43(12)
- Giuliano C, Moser L. Flippin lit: Evaluation of a flipped classroom in 1st year pharmacy students. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 2015; 79(5)
- Gortney J, Giuliano C, Slaughter R, Salinitri F. Relationship between PCOA performance and course performance in second year pharmacy students. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 2015; 79(5)
- Gortney J, Giuliano C, Slaughter R, Salinitri F. Individual courses as predictors of performance on the PCOA. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 2014; 78(5)
- Giuliano C, Gortney J, Binienda J. Predictors of performance on the PCOA in 2nd year pharmacy students. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 2014; 78(5)
- Mcgonigal K, Raveau B, Giuliano C, Hurren J. Safety and efficacy of a pharmacist-managed patient controlled analgesia service in post-surgical patients. Pharmacotherapy. 2014; 34(10):251e
- Giuliano C, Moser L, Martin E. Use of a unified learning style model to improve student self-directed learning in pharmacy students. Pharmacotherapy. 2012; 32(10):192e
- Giuliano C, Wilhelm S, Kale-Pradhan PB. A Meta-analysis of the use of PPI’s and the risk of development of pneumonia in non-critically ill patients. Pharmacotherapy. 2011; 31(10):338e.
- Giuliano C, Hall RG, Thompson KA , Brouse SD, Haase KK, Forcade N, Frei CR, Brouse SD, Bell T, Bedimo R, Alvarez C. A multi-center study evaluating the impact of IDSA guideline-recommended vancomycin dosing in MRSA bacteremia. Pharmacotherapy. 2010; 30(10):338e.