Candice Garwood Pharm.D., FCCP, BCPS, BCACP
EACPHS, Room 4143
Professor (Clinical) Department of Pharmacy Practice
Candice Garwood Pharm.D., FCCP, BCPS, BCACP
Degrees and Certifications
PharmD, University of Texas at Austin, 2001
Board Certified Pharmaotherapy Specialist 2004, recertified 2011, 2018
Positions and Employment
2018-present, Professor (Clinical), Wayne State University
2011-2018, Associate Professor (Clinical), Wayne State University
2005-2011, Assistant Professor (Clinical), Wayne State University
2005-present, Clinical Pharmacy Specialist, Harper University Hospital, Detroit Medical Center
2003-2005, Adjunct Assistant Professor, University of Iowa College of Pharmacy
2002-2005, Clinical Pharmacist, Liberty Pharmacy (North Liberty, IA)
2001-2002, Ambulatory Care Pharmacy Resident, St. Louis College of Pharmacy
Awards and Honors
Michigan Pharmacist's Association Excellence in Innovation Award, 2016
President's Choice Award, Michigan Society of Health System Pharmacy, 2014
MPRO Governor's Award of Excellence for Reducing Adverse Drug Events. Awarded to the Rosa Parks Wellness Institute for Senior Health, 2014
American Society of Health System Pharmacy Best Practices Award, Advancing Pharmacy Practice in Transitions of Care: Post-Hospitalization Ambulatory Medication Reconciliation at a Patient Centered Medical Home, 2013
Innovative Practice Award, Southeastern Michigan Society of Health System Pharmacists, 2013
Fellow of the American College of Clinical Pharmacists, 2013
Excellence in Teaching Award, Wayne State University Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, 2012
American College of Clinical Pharmacists
American Society of Health System Pharmacists
Michigan Society of Health System Pharmacists
Southeastern Michigan Society of Health System Pharmacists
Areas of Expertise
Anticoagulation; Geriatric Pharmacotherapy
1. Garwood CL*, VanSchepen, KA, McDonough RP, Sullivan AM. Increased Thyroid Stimulating Hormone Levels with Concomitant Administration of Levothyroxine and Raloxifene. Pharmacotherapy. 2006; 26(6):881-5.
2. Potts LA*, Garwood CL. Varenicline: The Newest Agent for Tobacco Cessation. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2007;64(13):1381-4.
3. Garwood CL*, Potts LA. Emerging Pharmacotherapies for Smoking Cessation. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2007;64(16):1693-8.
4. Garwood CL*, Dumo P, Baringhaus S, Laban K. Quality of Anticoagulation in Stable Patients Discharged from a Pharmacist-Managed Anticoagulation Clinic. Pharmacotherapy. 2008;28(1):20-26.
5. Peters J, Garwood CL*, Lepczyk M. Behavioral Changes with Paranoia in an Elderly Woman Taking Atorvastatin. Am J Ger Pharmacother. 2008;6(1);28-32.
6. Garwood CL*, Corbett TL. The Use of Anticoagulation in Elderly with Atrial Fibrillation Who are at Risk for Falls. Ann Pharmacother. 2008;42(4):523-32.
7. Berlie HD*, Garwood CL. Diabetes Medications Related to an Increased Risk of Falls and Fall-Related Morbidity in the Elderly. Ann Pharmacother. 2010;44(4):712-17. Authors’ Reply. Berlie HD, Garwood CL. Diabetes Medications Related to an Increased Risk of Falls and Fall-Related Morbidity in the Elderly. Ann Pharmacother. 2010.;44(12):2039-40.
8. Garwood CL*, Clemente JL, Ibe GN, Kandula VA, Curtis KD, Whittaker P. Warfarin Maintenance Dose in the Older Patients: Higher Average and Wider Dose Frequency Distribution in African versus European Ancestry Patients. Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2010;45(1):93-7.
9. Corbett TL*, Ehler K, Garwood CL. Successful Use of Fondaparinux in a Patient with a Mechanical Aortic Heart Valve Replacement with a History of Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia. J Thromb Thrombolys. 2010;30(3):375-7.
10. Garwood CL*, Gortney JS, Corbett TL. Is There a Role for Fondaparinux in Perioperative Bridging? Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2011;68(1):36-42.
11. Garwood CL, Bishja M, Smythe MA*. A Novel Approach to Anticoagulation Course Instruction: Incorporation of a Patient Modeling Component. Am J Pharm Educ. 2010;74 (10):Article 187.
12. Kleinow ME, Garwood CL, Clemente JL, Whittaker P*. Effect of Chronic Kidney Disease on Warfarin Management in a Pharmacist-Managed Anticoagulation Clinic. J Manag Care Pharm 2011;17(7):523-30.
13. Hwang JM, Clemente J, Sharma KP, Taylor TN, Garwood CL*. Transportation Cost of Anticoagulation Clinic Visits in an Urban Setting. J Manag Care Pharm. 2011;17(8):635-40.
14. Garwood CL*, Hwang J, Moser LR. Striking a Balance Between the Risks and Benefits of Anticoagulation Bridging in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation: Clinical Updates and Remaining Controversies. Pharmacotherapy. 2011;31(12):1208-20. Third most downloaded article for Pharmacotherapy in 2011.
15. Hwang JM, Taylor TN, Sharma KP, Clemente JL, Garwood CL*. Bridging for an Isolated Subtherapeutic INR: an Evaluation of Clinical Practice Patterns, Outcomes, and Costs from an Anticoagulation Clinic. J Thromb Thrombolys. 2012 ;33(1):28-37.
16. Khreizat HS, Whittaker P, Curtis KD, Turlo G, Garwood CL*. The Effect of Cognitive Impairment in the Elderly on the Initial and Long-Term Stability of Warfarin Therapy. Drugs Aging. 2012;29(4):307-17.
17. Salinitri FD*, O’Connell ME, Garwood CL, Tutag-Lehr V, Abdallah K. An Objective Structured Clinical Examination to Assess Problem-Based Learning. Am J Pharm Educ. 2012;76(3):44.
18. Johnson JL*, Garwood CL, Moser LR. Health Literacy: A Primer for Pharmacists. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2013;70(11):949-55.
19. Nigro SC*, Garwood CL, Berlie H, Irons B, Longyhore D, McFarland MS, Saseen JJ, Trewet CB. Clinical Pharmacists as Key Members of the Patient-Centered Medical Home: An Opinion Statement of the Ambulatory Care Practice and Research Network of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy. Pharmacotherapy. 2014;34(1):96-108.
20. Garwood CL*, Curtis KD, Belanger GJ, Cardozo LJ, Turlo GE, Steinberg JD, Lepczyk, M. Preliminary Data from A Pharmacist-Managed Anticoagulation Clinic Embedded in a Multidisciplinary Patient Centered Medical Home: A Coordinated, Quality, Cost-Savings Model. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2014;62(3):536-40.
21. Liu VC, Garwood CL*. Transition of Care Post-Hospitalization Medication Reconciliation Program in a Patient Centered Medical Home and an Accountable Care Organization. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2015;72(9):690-93.
22. O'Connell MB, Chang F, Tocco A, Mills ME, Hwang JM, Garwood CL, Khreizat HS, Gupta NS. Drug-Related Problem Outcomes and Program Satisfaction from a Comprehensive Brown Bag Medication Review. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015;63(9):1900-5.
23. Garwood CL*, Chaben A. What is the Best Option for Stroke Prevention Therapy in the Elderly Patient with Difficulty Using Warfarin? Ann Longterm Care. 2016; 24(4):31-39.
24. Kokoska L, El Masri D, Berlie HN, Garwood CL*. Aspirin Prescribing Patterns for Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease in Geriatric Patients with Diabetes: Survey of Prescribers Based on Experience. J Clin Gerontol Geriatr. 2016;7(2):33-6.
25. Kokoska L, Wilhelm SM*, Garwood CL, Berlie HD. Aspirin for Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease in Patients with Diabetes: a Meta-Analysis. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2016:120:31-39.
26. Thiel B, Binns-Emerick L, Garwood CL*. Pharmacy Resident Research: Improving Publication Potential and Simultaneously Identifying Intangible Gains in the Process. Curr Pharmacy Teach Learn. 2016;8(6):920-23.
27. Garwood CL*, Korkis B, Mohammad I, Lepczyk M, Risko K. Implementation of Chronic Care Management Services in Primary Care Practice. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2016;73(23):1924-32.
28. Smith AL, Garwood CL*, Bailey T, Decator D, Elder J, Green A, Kostoff D, Lucarotti RL, MacDonald N, Malburg D, Ottney A, Remington T, Shuster J. State Affiliate Initiative to Advance Ambulatory Care Practice. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2016;73(23):1909-14.
29. Garwood CL*, Korkis B, Grande D, Hanni C, Morin A, Moser LR. Anticoagulation Bridge Therapy in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation: Recent Updates Providing a Re-Balance of Risk and Benefit. Pharmacotherapy. 2017;37(6):712-24.
30. Mohammad I*, Shuster J, Petrovitch E, Garwood CL. Implementation of a Direct Oral Anticoagulant Discharge Service. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2017;74(14):1040-44.
31. Mohammad I*, Korkis B, Garwood CL. Incorporating Comprehensive Management of Direct Oral Anticoagulants into Anticoagulation Clinics. Pharmacotherapy. 2017;37(10):1284-97.
Experts guide blurb
Candace Garwood is an expert in geriatric pharmacotherapy.