Joseph Fava Pharm.D.
Assistant Professor (Clinical)
EACPHS, Room 2128
Joseph Fava Pharm.D.
Degrees and Certifications
- 2014 - Wayne State University Post-Graduate Pharmacy Teaching Certificate Program
- 2011 - PharmD, Wayne State University
- 2005-2007 - Pre-pharmacy undergraduate coursework, Wayne State University
- 2019-Present - Board-certified Ambulatory Care Pharmacist (Board of Pharmacy Specialties)
- 2018-Present - Tuberculosis Skin Testing Certification (MDHHS)
- 2016-Present - APhA Delivering Medication Therapy Management
- 2016-Present - NACDS Community Pharmacy-based Point-of-Care Testing Certificate Training
- 2015-Present - American Pharmacists Association Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery Certificate
- 2009-Present - Basic Life Support for Heathcare Providers (AHA)
- 2016 - APhA Pharmacy-Based Cardiovascular Disease Risk Management Certificate Training Program
- 2014 - WSU EACPHS Post-Graduate Pharmacy Teaching Certificate Program
Positions and Employment
- 2015-Present - Assistant Professor (Clinical), Wayne State University
- 2014-2015 - PGY-2 Pharmacy Resident - Ambulatory Care, John D. Dingell Veterans Affairs Med Center
- 2013-2014 - PGY-1 Pharmacy Resident, Beaumont Health - Oakwood Campus
- 2011-2013 - Pharmacy Manager, Walgreens
Awards and Honors
- 2016 - Outstanding Faculty Member Award - APhA Academy of Student Pharmacists
- 2016-Present - Member, Alliance for Immunziation in Michigan (AIM)
- 2015-Present - Member, American Pharmacists Association (APhA)
- 2015-Present - Member, American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP)
- 2007-Present - Member, Michigan Pharmacists Association (MPA)
Areas of Expertise
- Community pharmacy practice advancement
- Ambulatory Care
Primary Research Interest
- Community pharmacy-based clinical services
- Vaccine therapeutics
- Fava JP, Whitney M, Mendez J, O’Connell MB. Bone health assessments by student pharmacists during interprofessional education. Curr Pharm Teach Learn. (accepted for publication 5 April 2020, in press).
- O’Connell MB, Borchert JS, Slazak EM, Fava JP. Chapter 108: Osteoporosis. In Dipiro JT, Yee GC, Posey M, Haines ST, Nolin TD, Ellingrod V, eds. Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach, 11th edition. Copyright © 2019 by McGraw-Hill Education. All rights reserved.
- Fava JP, Zofchak KM, Jedinak TJ, Erickson SR. Student Perspectives Regarding Specialty Pharmacy Within Doctor of Pharmacy Curricula. J Manag Care Spec Pharm. 2019 Nov;25(11):1255-1259. doi: 10.18553/jmcp.2019.25.11.1255. PMID: 31663463.
- Baalbaki NA, Fava JP, Ng M, Okorafor E, Nawaz A, Chiu W, Salim A, Cha R, Kilgore PE. A Community-Based Survey to Assess Knowledge, Attitudes, Beliefs and Practices Regarding Herpes Zoster in an Urban Setting. Infect Dis Ther. 2019 Dec;8(4):687-694. doi: 10.1007/s40121-019-00269-2. Epub 2019 Oct 3. PMID: 31583578.
- Fava JP, Stewart B, Dudzinski KM, et al. Emerging Topics in Vaccine Therapeutics for Adolescents and Adults: An Update for Immunizing Pharmacists. J Pharm Pract. 2018 Oct 23. doi: 10.1177/0897190018802937. [Epub ahead of print]
- Fava JP, Starr KM, Ratz D, et al. Dosing challenges with direct oral anticoagulants in the elderly: a retrospective analysis. Ther Adv Drug Saf. 2018 May 17;9(8):405-414. doi: 10.1177/2042098618774498. eCollection 2018 Aug.
- Fava JP, Colleran J, Bignasci F, et al. Adolescent human papillomavirus vaccination in the United States: Opportunities for integrating pharmacies into the immunization neighborhood. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2017 Aug 3;13(8):1844-1855. doi: 10.1080/21645515.2017.1325980. Epub 2017 Jun 12.
- George J, Fava J. Immunization Update – 2018. MSHP Monitor. 2018 May 15;37(5):7-10
- George J, Fava J. Immunization Update – 2018. Michigan Pharmacist. 2018 Oct 7;56(4):26-7.
- Baalbaki NA, Ng M, Okorafor E, Nawaz A, Chiu W, Salim A, Fava JP, Kilgore P. A community-based survey to assess knowledge, attitudes, beliefs and practices regarding herpes zoster in an urban setting (WSU EACPHS Research Day, Detroit, MI, November 7, 2018, awarded first place in Pharmacy Practice category)
- Hanna A, Tayar T, Kolc S, Fava J, Hegeman-Dingle R. Student-led initiative to improve staff knowledge of medication administration and impact on proportion of days covered in a community pharmacy setting (WSU EACPHS Research Day, Detroit, MI, November 7, 2018)
- Whitney M, Fava J, O’Connell MB. Second-year pharmacy student assessment of calcium and vitamin D intakes in older adults (WSU EACPHS Research Day, Detroit, MI, November 7, 2018)
- Husseini AG, Fawaz A, Fakherddine M, Zalanca S, Fava J, Levine D, Goyal A, Farooqi A, Mendez J. Identifying Correlation Between Malnutrition and Risk For Major Osteoporotic Events in Geriatric Patients (Association for Gerontology in Higher Education Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, March 2, 2018)
- Anderson, S., Foster, B., Foley, D., Dawood, R., Dawood, K., Jordan, P., Fava, J., Brody, A., & Levy, P. World Hypertension Day in Detroit – Insight into a Pervasive Problem with Significant Societal Implications (Henry Ford Health System Global Health Symposium, Detroit, MI, October 21, 2016)
- O’Connell MB, Gilkey S, Derecyzk A, Fava J, Burke C. Novel Interprofessional Education including a Community Pharmacy and Clinic or Emergency Room (ACCP Global Conference on Clinical Pharmacy, Seattle, WA, October 20-23, 2018, published in the Journal of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy)
- Kolc SL, Tayar T, Hanna A, Choudhury N, Rosario R, Fava JP, Hegeman-Dingle R. Improving pharmacy staff knowledge of a medication synchronization program and impact on proportion of days covered for Medicare patients in a community pharmacy chain (APhA Annual Meeting and Exposition, Seattle, WA, March 23, 2019, published in the Journal of the American Pharmacists Association)
- Fava J, Mackey P, Gilkey S, Derecyzk A, Higgins R, Lucarotti R, Burke C, O’Connell M. Use of a Team Observed Structured Clinical Encounter (TOSCE) to Evaluate Interprofessional Education – a Pharmacy and Physician Assistant Student Community Pharmacy, Clinic and Emergency Room Project (APhA Annual Meeting and Exposition, San Francisco, CA, March 25, 2017, published in the Journal of the American Pharmacists Association)