Sara Lolar M.S., PA-C, DFAAPA
Assistant Professor - Clinical
Physician Assistant Studies
EACPHS, Suite 2590
Sara Lolar M.S., PA-C, DFAAPA
Degrees and Certifications
- Emergency Medicine Certificate of Added Qualification (CAQ), 2016
- Wayne State University, M.S in Physician Assistant Studies, 2005
- Wayne State University, B.S. in Biological Sciences, 1995
Positions and Employment
- Assistant Professor (Clinical), Physician Assistant Studies, Wayne State University, 2018-present
- Medical Center Emergency Services, Detroit Medical Center ED, Physician Assistant, 2005-present
- Instructional Assistant/PT UPTF, Physician Assistant Studies, Wayne State University, 2006-2018
Awards and Honors
- Faculty Research Award Program (FRAP), Wayne State University EACPHS. Project title: Physician assistant scholarship: gender differences and factors that promote female authorship. Funded 6/1/2022 - 5/31/2023. $10,000.
- Don Pedersen Research Grant, Physician Assistant Education Association. Project title: Barriers to Research: A national survey of physician assistant faculty. Funded 1/10/2020 - 10/31/2022. $6,995
- New Faculty Award for Professional Excellence. Physician Assistant Education Association (PAEA). Awarded October 22, 2020.
- Dale Sillix Teaching Award of Excellence. Wayne State University Physician Assistant Studies. Awarded: 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2020, 2022
- Pi Alpha National Honor Society for Physician Assistants
- Society of Emergency Medicine Physician Assistants (SEMPA)
- Society of Point of Care Ultrasound (SPOCUS)
- Distinguished Fellow of the American Academy of PAs (DFAAPA)
- American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA)
- Michigan Academy of Physician Assistants (MAPA)
Areas of Expertise
- Faculty Development
- Academic admissions
- Point of care ultrasound
- Emergency medicine
- Lolar, S., B. Nandwana, S. Maher. Type of health care experience impact on PAEA End of Rotation exam scores: a retrospective exploratory study. J Physician Assist Educ. Under revision.
- Tocco, J., S. Maher, S. Lolar. Healthcare experience impact on first-year physician assistant students’ communication self-efficacy. Internet Journal of Allied Health Sciences and Practice. Under review.
- Lolar S., R. Welch, A. Garino. Gender differences in behaviors and attitudes that support scholarly productivity. Manuscript.
- Lolar S., A. Messman, R. Ehrman, A. Garino. Physician assistant scholarship: gender differences and factors that promote female authorship. Data collection.
Peer Reviewed Publications:
- Lolar, S., R. Welch, A. Garino. Barriers to research: A national survey of physician assistant faculty. J Physician Assistant Education. Accepted 3/4/22
- Lolar, S. Student ultrasound interest group: a novel method of introducing ultrasound to physician assistant students. J Physician Assist Educ, 2022. 33(2): 131-134.
- Lolar, S, J McQueen, S Maher, Correlation between physician assistant students’ performance score of history taking and physical exam documentation and scores of Graduate Record Examination, clinical year grade point average, and score of Physician Assistant National Certifying Exam in the United States. J Educ Eval Health Prof 2020;17:16
- Lolar S, Pilat MJ, Welch RD. Impact of Type of Healthcare Experience Before Physician Assistant School Admission on PANCE Score. J Allied Health. 2020;49(3):176-180.
- Lolar, S. Gestational Trophoblastic Disease, JAAPA, Apr 2021; 34(4):52-53. doi: 10.1097/01.JAA.0000735796.40503.de. PMID: 33735142.
- Lolar, S.A., R.L. Sherwin, D.M. Robinson, et al. Effectiveness of an urban emergency department call-back system in the successful linkage to treatment of sexually transmitted infections. South Med J, May 2015. 108(5): p. 268-73.
Peer Reviewed Posters:
- Lolar, S, R. Welch, A. Garino. Gender differences in behaviors and attitudes that support scholarly productivity. Accepted as oral research brief. PAEA Educational Forum. October 2022.
- Lolar, S, R. Welch, A. Garino. Barriers to research: A national survey of physician assistant faculty. PAEA Education Forum, virtual, October 11-15, 2021. Research brief oral presentation.
- Lolar, S, B. Nandwana. Type of health care experience impact on End of Rotation scores. PAEA Education Forum, virtual, October 11-15, 2021. Abstract/poster.
- Tocco, Joe, S Maher, S. Lolar. Healthcare experience impact on first-year physician assistant students’ communication self-efficacy. EACPHS College Research Day, October 14, 2020. Awarded 2nd place in Health Care Sciences Student category.