Victoria Tutag Lehr Pharm.D.
EACPHS, Room 4144
Victoria Tutag Lehr Pharm.D.
Degrees and Certifications
- 1987 - Pharm.D., Wayne State University
- 1978 - B.S. Pharmacy, Ferris State University
- Pharmacist State of Michigan (active); Preceptor (active)
- Medication Therapy Management Training, Wayne State University, 2015
Positions and Employment
- 2017-Present - Professor (Clinical), Wayne State University
- 2006-2017 - Associate Professor, Wayne State University
- 2000-2006 - Assistant Professor, Wayne State University
- 2003-2006 - Clinical Preceptor, Butler University
- 1993-2000 - Clinical Adjunct Faculty, Wayne State University
- 1991-2000 - Clinical Adjunct Faculty, Ferris State University
Awards and Honors
- 2020 - Faculty of the Year Award from class of 2021
- 2018 - ACCP Research award (2ndplace poster): Lead (Pb) inhibits insulin-activated AKT signaling and reduces glycogen in rat liver.
- 1984 - Rho Chi Society
- 2016-present Pediatric Pharmacy Advocacy Group
- 2015-present American Society Health Systems Pharmacists
- 2009-present Michigan Pharmacist Association
- 2010-present Michigan Society of Health Systems Pharmacists
- 2010-present Oakland County Pharmacists Association
- 2006-present - American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- 2000-present - American College of Clinical Pharmacy
- 1991-2000 - Southeastern Michigan Society of Hospital Pharmacists
- 1989-2017 - American Society of Hospital Pharmacists
- 1988-1995 - Southeastern Michigan Clinical Coordinator Association
- 1988-1996 - Southeastern Michigan Regional Drug Information Association
Selected Committee Appointments
- State of Michigan DHSS Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee – Chair (Appointed 2011; current term expires October 2019)
- MDHHS Naloxone Implementation taskforce (2017-present)
- MDHHS Data Driven Process Evaluation Initiative (DDPI) of the Naloxone Standing Order (2018-present): committee appointed by the CME, charged with the evaluation of the naloxone standing order throughout Michigan.
- Resident Advisory Committee, Children's Hospital of Michigan
Wayne State University
- WSU Opioid Taskforce 2016-present
- WSU Investigational Review Board-Scientist M1 member 2013-2021
- WSU Investigational Review Board-Scientist M4-alternate 2013-2021
- Academic Senate-2011-2012
Selected Professional Service
- Michigan Higher Education Network 2015-present
- Detroit Coalition Key Leaders Roundtable-Substance Prevention in Youth 2015-present
- Pediatric Pain Management Multidisciplinary Practice Committee 2010-present
- Clinical Pharmacy Specialist-CHM Anesthesia Pain Management Program 2010-present Detroit Medical Center Pain Advisory Committee 2001-present
- Scholarly Oversight Committee-Children’s Hospital of Michigan Clinical Pharmacology Fellowship training 2007
- Pediatric Pharmacology Research Unit Network reviewer - pain and analgesia 2005-2011
- Acupuncture in Medicine
- American Journal Pharmaceutical Education
- BMC Health Services Research
- Clinical Journal of Pain
- Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- Currents in Pharmacy and Learning
- Journal of Pediatrics
- Journal of Pediatric Nursing
- Journal of Pharmaceutical Education
- Journal of Venerology and Dermatology
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Therapeutics and Clinical Risk Management
- Synopsis: Current Survey World Literature in Pediatrics (2007-2011)
- Annals of Pharmacotherapy-Oncology section (1994-1998)
Primary Research Interest
- Pediatric pain assessment and management
- Opioid overdose prevention
- Adverse drug reactions
- Lead and hepatic effects in children
AmerisourceBergen 2019 Opioid Resource Grant Program
01/31/2020-02/01/2021) $79,849.00 Role: Co-I 10% support
Pharmacists CARE Program in Dependence and Recovery
MDHHS Injury and Violence Prevention Unit
(4/01/2019-8/31/2019) $59,998.00 Role: PI
Naloxone and Responsiveness of Michigan Pharmacists
Aim: To characterize practice of Michigan community pharmacists with respect to naloxone distribution and education.
HRSA Graduate Psychology Education (GPE) Program grant to Vhs Children’s Hospital of Michigan
(9/1/2019 – 8/31/2022)
Award No: 1D40HP33377-01-00
Clinical Psychology Internship Training in Behavioral Health Care for High Need Pediatric Populations
Funding for four CHM Psychology Interns as well as faculty development with a focus on prevention and treatment of substance abuse and opioid use disorder.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Foundation
(7/01/18-6/31/19) • Role: Co-PI
High risk prescribing of controlled medications
Aim: The goal is to examine high-risk opioid prescribing as defined by opioid dosage, duration or concurrent use with other medications longitudinally and across geographic areas to assess the need for specific interventions and the impact of current national, state, and payer policies to address the opioid overdose epidemic in Southeastern Michigan.
Center Student Academic Success, Wayne State University
(08/15/2013-05/14/2019) • Role: Principal Investigator
2nd year Pharmacy Student Learning Community Program
Aim: to maintain the Learning Community to optimize student success by emphasizing skills in pharmacology and pharmacotherapeutics. Funding for 1 academic year.
Faculty Research Award Program-EACPHS
(2/1/2012-2/1/2013) • Role: Co-Investigator
Effect of group exercise on chronic neck pain in individuals over 50 years of age
Aim: to examine the effect of group Pilates and Yoga exercise classes on function, range of motion, endurance, postural position, pain, medication use and balance in adults over 50 years of age with chronic moderate to severe cervical spine pain.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Foundation
(7/01/09-12/31/11) • Role: Investigator
Diagnosing Adverse Drug Reactions (ADR) in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
Aim: to assess incidence, risk factors and costs of ADRs in a PICU in a prospective study. Results used to develop a valid, reliable, and easy-to-use algorithm specifically for diagnosing ADRs in PICUs using a novel mathematical approach.
Children’s Research Center of Michigan
(7/01/08-7/01/10) • Role: Investigator
Mechanisms of Lead Effects on Hepatic Glycogen Metabolism
Aims: 1. elucidate molecular mechanisms lead effects on hepatic glycogen and glucose metabolism; 2. determine lead exposure effects on corresponding hepatic gene expression and, 3. determine effects of lead exposure on growth hormones.
The Gerber Foundation
(06/01/07-06/01/09) • Role: Investigator
An Adverse Drug Reaction Assessment Tool for Newborns in NICUs – A Pilot Study
Aim: to develop and validate a tool for assessing ADRs in the neonatal population, and to examine the impact of the tool on decreasing drug-related morbidity and mortality.
The Gerber Foundation
(1/01/05-1/01/08) • Role: Principal Investigator
Skin blood flow changes using Laser Doppler Imager for assessment of pain and analgesia in newborn infants
Aims: 1. determine the relationship between skin blood flow response and clinical measures of pain (NIPS scores, heart rate, respiratory rate, oxygen saturation) in the newborn infant using the heel lance model. 2. determine the temporal skin blood flow response to painful stimuli using the heel lance model. 3. evaluate effect of oral sucrose 24% solution on skin blood flow response during heel lance.
Ferndale Labs, Inc.
(4/01/01-5/01/03) • Role: Principal Investigator
Lidocaine 4% cream (LMX4) for anesthesia for newborn circumcision
Aim: study to evaluate the effect of lidocaine 4% cream for topical anesthesia
during newborn circumcision compared with 2.5 % lidocaine and 2.5% prilocaine eutectic mixture cream and dorsal penile nerve block as measured by heart rate, respiratory rate, oxygen saturation, infant cry analysis, and neonatal facial coding system scores.
Pharmacists' knowledge of naloxone administration in the community
(05-2016 –10-2016) • Role: Co-Principal Investigator
Aim: to identify gaps pharmacists’ knowledge regarding dispensing of naloxone in the community as pilot for education program development.
Experience with Dexmedetomidine for Sedation of Children undergoing Imaging
(09-2009–09-2016) • Role: Principal Investigator
Aim: to evaluate the safety and efficacy of dexmedetomidine for sedation of pediatric patients during imaging at Children’s Hospital of Michigan.
Publications in Last Five Years
- Chemtob S,Reese J,Lapointe A, Nadeau-ValleeM,Tutag Lehr V. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. In: Aranda JV, Vande Anker J, eds. Pediatric Pharmacology: Therapeutic Principles in Practice. 5th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins; 2020 (in press).
- Tutag Lehr V, Williams M. Pediatric Anticonvulsants. In: Aranda JV, Vande Anker J, eds. Pediatric Pharmacology: Therapeutic Principles in Practice.5th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins; 2020: (in press).
- Tutag Lehr V, Potts G, Lulic-Botica M. Topical Medications for Pediatric Dermatologic Conditions. In: Aranda JV, VandenAnker J, eds. Pediatric Pharmacology: Therapeutic Principles in Practice. 5th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins; 2019:(in press).
- Tutag Lehr V, Lulic-Botica M, Valencia GB, Calo J, Aranda JV. Analgesia and sedation in the newborninfant. In: Ramasethu J, Rais-Bahrami K, eds. Atlas of Procedures in Neonatology. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, June 2019(in press).
- Stewart B, Thomas R, Tutag Lehr V. Pharmacists’ knowledge, support, and perceived roles providing naloxone in the community. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning2018;Aug10(8):1013-102.
- Brown SW, Tutag Lehr V, French N, Giuliano CA. Can a short video improve inhaler use in urban youth? J Ped Pediatr Pharmacol Ther 2017; Aug/Sept 22, (4):293-299.
- Abdulhamid I, Stenger J, Tremblay M, Tutag Lehr V. Chloral Hydrate for Sedation of Children with Asthma during Dental Treatment. European Journal Pediatric Dentistry 2016 Jun;17(2):141-146.
- Burghardt KJ, Thomas S, Tutag Lehr V. Off-label Use of Duloxetine for Pediatric Neuropathic Pain. Mental Health Clinician. Neuropathic Pain Mental Health Clinician 2015 Nov; 5:277-283.
- Dunleavy K, Kava K, Goldberg A, Malek M, Talley SA, Tutag-Lehr V, Hildreth JA. Comparative effectiveness of Pilates and Yoga group exercise for chronic mechanical neck pain. Physiotherapy 2016 Sept; 102(3):236-42.
- Tutag Lehr V, Cortez J, GreverW, Cepeda E, Thomas R, Aranda JV. Randomized placebo controlled trial of sucrose analgesia on neonatal skin blood flow and pain response during heel lance. Clin J Pain 2015 May;31(5):451-458. Impact Factor: 2.703
- Tutag Lehr V, Matthew M, Mastrandrea N, Leff T. Lead (Pb) inhibits insulin-activated AKT signaling and reduces glycogen in rat liver. Pharmacotherapy 2018;38(7):62e. (ACCP 2ndplace poster May 2018)
- Tutag Lehr V, Pradhan A, Farooqi A. Experience with dexmedetomidine for sedation of children and adolescents undergoing imaging. Pharmacotherapy 2017; 37(6):54e.
- Stewart B, Meiu A, Thomas R, Tutag Lehr V. Pharmacists Knowledge and Support for Providing Naloxone in the Community. APhA May/June2017 (57): A435.
- Dunleavy K, Kava K, Goldberg A, Malek M, Talley SA, Tutag-Lehr V, Hildreth JA Comparative effectiveness of Pilates and Yoga group exercise for chronic mechanical neck pain. Journal of Orthopaedic& Sports Physical Therapy, 2015: (45): 1: A1-A18
- Lead (Pb) inhibits insulin-activated AKT signaling and reduces glycogen in rat liver. American College Clinical Pharmacy Virtual Poster Symposium, May 23, 2018.
- Experience with dexmedetomidine for sedation of children and adolescents undergoing imaging. American College Clinical Pharmacy Virtual Poster Symposium May 19, 2017.
- Pharmacists’ Knowledge, Support, and Perceived Roles Associated with Providing Naloxone in the Community. American Pharmacists Association Annual Meeting & Exposition, San Francisco, CA. March 25, 2017
- Comparative effectiveness of Pilates and Yoga group exercise for chronic mechanical neck pain. American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting Indianapolis, IN. February 2, 2015.
Regional and Local
- Opioids in the community: trends and management strategies. MDHHS Rehabilitation education conference, April 12, 2019, Southfield, MI
- Pain management in substance use disorder. Mid-Michigan Health, Saginaw Valley University, March 20, 2019, Saginaw, MI
- Temporal trends in high risk-controlled prescription claims. Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences 15h Annual Research. Forum November 2018, Detroit, MI (poster presentation).]
- Lead (Pb) inhibits insulin-activated AKT signaling and reduces glycogen in rat liver. WSU EACPHS 15th Annual Research Forum, Detroit, MI, November 2018 (poster presentation)
- Scope of the opioid crisis in the community. WSU, Opioid Awareness Day, September 18, 2018, Detroit, MI (panel discussion).
- Lead (Pb) inhibits insulin-activated AKT signaling and reduces glycogen in rat liver. Genes, Urban Environments and Health Presidential Sesquicentennial Symposium, Detroit, MI, September 9. 2018 (poster presentation)
- Temporal trends in opioid analgesic claims: More information needed. 3rd Annual Translational Neuroscience Program Symposium and Research Day, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurosciences. Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit MI May 18, 2018.
- Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome (NAS): Crisis in the nursery. 3rd Annual Translational Neuroscience Program Symposium and Research Day, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurosciences. Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit MI May 18, 2018.
- Naloxone: Changes and challenges for Michigan pharmacists. SMSHP. May 9, 2018, Southfield, MI
- Improving First Year Pharmacy Students Success with Peer Assisted Learning (poster). Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences 14th Annual Research Forum November 2017, Detroit, MI
- Supplements and Vitamins for Pain Management: Case for Evidence. 12th Annual Children's Hospital of Michigan Evidence Based Practice Nursing Conference. September 28th, 2017, Grosse Pointe, MI
- Michigan Naloxone: Expanding Access in our communities. 15th Annual Detroit Medical Center Pain Symposium. September 8, 2017, Detroit, MI
- Naloxone for Overdose: The Pharmacist's Challenge. 2nd Annual LKS Hygeia Day Program, March 15, 2017, Detroit, MI.
- Naloxone Access: Expanding the Role of the Pharmacist. Michigan Pharmacists Association Annual Convention & Exposition. Detroit, MI. February 25, 2017.
- Evidence Based Supplement use for Pain. Advance Practice Nursing Grand Rounds. Children’s Hospital of Michigan, Detroit, January 20th, 2017.
- Safety and efficacy of dexmedetomidine for sedation of children undergoing imaging. (poster). Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences 13th Annual Research Forum November 2016, Detroit, MI
- Appropriate opioid prescribing. Advance Practice Nursing Grand Rounds. Children’s Hospital of Michigan, Detroit, MI October 19, 2016.
- Adolescent Analgesia: Safe and Effective Opioid Prescribing. Nursing Education Series. Children’s Hospital of Michigan, Detroit, MI May 9, 2016.
- Appropriate Opioid Prescribing for Acute Pain and Risk Assessment. Michigan Pharmacists Association Annual Convention & Exposition. Detroit, MI. February 27, 2016.
- Psychoactive medication use among Urban Youth. Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences Annual Research Forum Detroit, MI November 4, 2015.
- Supplements for Pediatric Neuropathies. DMC Pharmacy Grand Rounds. Harper Hospital, Detroit. MI. May 28th, 2015.
- Vitamins and Supplements for Pediatric Analgesia: Safety and Efficacy. Nursing Education Series. Children’s Hospital of Michigan, Detroit. February 18th, 2015.