Peter D. Frade Ph.D.
Peter D. Frade Ph.D.
Degrees and Certifications
- 1978 Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry (Analytical), Wayne State University- Detroit, Michigan
- 1971 Master of Science in Chemistry (Analytical), Wayne State University - Detroit, Michigan:
- 1968 Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, Wayne State University - Detroit, Michigan
Positions and Employment
- 2017-present, Associate Dean for Health Sciences
- 2016-2017, Interim Associate Dean for Health Sciences
- 2003-2016, Chair and Associate Professor, Department of Fundamental and Applied Health Sciences; Program Director, Mortuary Science
- 2001-2016, Program Director, Pathologists' Assistant
- 2000-2003, Interim Chairman, Department of Mortuary Science
- 1996-present, Associate Professor, Mortuary Science
- 1997-present, Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- 1968-1996, Clinical Laboratory Scientist: Toxicologist, Department of Pathology, Division of Pharmacology and Toxicology and the Division of Clinical Chemistry and Toxicology, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit
Awards and Honors
- Inspire from Within Philanthropy Award 2017
- Editorial Review Board, The Annals of Pharmacotherapy, Harvey Whitney Books, Cincinnati, OH (2003-2014).
- American Chemical Society
- American Institute of Chemists (Fellow)
- Association of Analytical Chemists
- American Association for Clinical Chemistry
- American College of Toxicology
- Association of Clinical Scientists (Fellow)
- Michigan Association of Allied Health Professionals
- National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry (Fellow)
- Royal Society of Chemistry- London, England
- The New York Academy of Sciences
- The American College of Forensic Examiners
- Sigma Xi, Wayne State University Chapter
- Phi Lambda Upsilon, Wayne State University Chapter
Areas of Expertise
- Application of high resolution chromatographic techniques to problems involved with clinical, forensic, pharmaceutical and toxicological analysis
- Medicolegal and pharmaceutical applications of hyphenated gas chromatography / mass spectrometry and liquid chromatography / mass spectrometry
- Forensic applications of hyphenated analytical technology
- Epoxidation reactions: Synthesis of epoxide and vicinal diol regioisomers
Primary Research Interest
Chemical modulators and molecular mechanisms in tissue preservation enhancement: (1) complications associated with traditional embalming techniques (2) photochemical interventions mediating the removal of jaundice and other biochemical postmortem stain in cadavers (3) alternative skin closure techniques and (4) evaluation of fundamental tissue processes in embalming protocols by laser based microscopy.
- Frade PD: [Published Book Review] Applications of Inorganic Mass Spectrometry, John R. DeLaeter, Wiley-Interscience Series on Mass Spectrometry, John Wiley: New York, 2001. The Chemist 80 (2003).
- Frade PD: [Published Book Review] Advances in Photochemistry, Vol 25, D.C. Neckers, D.H. Volman, G.von Bunau, Editors, John Wiley: New York, 1999. The Chemist 77 (3): 26 (2000). 3. Frade KL and Frade PD: Obstacles to Producing Online Courses Journal of Funeral Service Education. 8(2): 13-16, 2001.
- Frade, PD: [Guest Editorial]: Physical Chemistry : an expanding multidimensional dynamic discipline in chemistry. Physical Chemistry Issue, The Chemist 78(4), 1-2 (2001).
- Frade, PD: [Guest Editorial]: Forensic Chemistry and Legal Challenges - Contemporary Perspective. Forensic Chemistry Issue, The Chemist 78(1), 1-2, 2001.
- Frade PD: A comparative study between technology and traditional instruction outcomes in mortuary science chemistry and pathology course offerings. Journal of Funeral Service Education 7(1): 49-54, 2000. 7.
- Van Rollins M, Frade PD, and Carretero OA: Synthesis of epoxide and vicinal diol regioisomers from docosahexanate methyl esters. Journal of Lipid Research 30: 275-286, 1989. 8.
- Van Rollins M, Frade PD, and Carretero OA: Oxidation of 5,8,11,14,17- eicosapentaenoic acid by hepatic and renal microsomes. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 966: 133-149, 1988.
- Lin WL and Frade PD: Simultaneous quantitation of eight tricyclic antidepressants in serum by high performance liquid chromatography. Therapeutic Drug Monitoring 9: 448-455, 1987.
Selected abstracts, poster sessions, invited lecture presentations
- Frade PD: Blood as Criminal Evidence. 49th Annual Meeting of the Michigan Association of Blood Banks, Doubletree Hotel, Detroit Metropolitan Airport, Romulus Michigan, September 10, 2003.
- Frade PD, Ladd ED, Zalman M, Diegel R, Woodford D: Gene Squad Panel Discussion, Research Revolution, Bernath Auditorium, David Adamany Undergraduate Library, Wayne State University, Detroit Michigan, August 21, 2003.
- Ladd ED and Frade PD: Enhancing the Learning Process with Power Point. Lilly Conference on College and University Teaching North, Ferris State University, Big Rapids, Michigan, September 21-22, 2001.
- Frade KL and Frade PD: 2001-A Web Based Course Design and Development Journey [workshop]. Lilly Conference on College and University Teaching North, Ferris State University, Big Rapids, Michigan, September 21-22, 2001.
- Frade PD [Keynote Speaker]: Forensic Chemistry and Legal Challenges A Contemporary Perspective. Joint Awards Banquet, American Chemical Society Detroit Section and Canadian Institute of Chemists, Beach Grove Country Club, Windsor, Ontario, May 23, 2001.
- Frade PD, Barraco SA, Brown DM, Browne HS, Montie ML, Morris KE, Nixon LA, Schober MS, Wilson LM [Abstract]: Critical assessment of current applications of forensic odontology: basis for future adjunct technologies. The Forensic Examiner 9(1/2): 32, 2000. 7. Frade PD :[Lecture] Critical Assessment of Current Applications of Forensic Odontology: Basis for Future Adjunct Technologies. 1999 American College of Forensic Examiners / American Psychological Association Joint Annual Meeting, Waldorf Astora, New York, New York, October 30, 1999.
- Frade PD: Synthesis, Purification, and Structure Elucidation of Epoxide Regioisomers Derived from Eicosapentaenoic [20:5 (n-3)] Docosahexaenoic [22:6 (n-3)] Acids. Association of Analytical Chemists: 50th Anniversary Anachem Symposium, Botsford Inn, Farmington, Michigan, November 7, 1991.
- Van Rollins M, Cook R, Carretero OA, Frade PD: Identification and Synthesis of Cytochrome P-450 Metabolites of Omega-3 Fatty Acids, Eighth Annual Michigan Cardiovascular Research Forum, American Heart Association of Michigan, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, September 15, 1988.
Articles (non-peer reviewed)
- Frade PD, Ethics the cornerstone of professionalism in funeral service education, American Funeral Director, 126(6): 90, 2003.
- Personal Published Interviews
- Rules of Evidence Forensic Investigations Peter Frade is Our Man on the Crime Scene [Interviewed by Leslie Mertz], Wayne State Magazine, Vol 17(1), 26-27, 2003.
- Career Opportunities in Forensic Investigation and Forensic Science, [Interviewed by Douglas Schmidt], The Windsor Star, Windsor Ontario Canada, January 4, 2003, A1-A4.The Chemistry of Embalming [Interviewed by Robin Sussingham], Chemistry, American Chemical Society, 17-20, Spring Issue, 2000.