Richard L. Lucarotti Pharm.D.
Richard L. Lucarotti Pharm.D.
Degrees and Certifications
- B.S. Pharmacy - University of Pittsburgh
- Pharm.D. - Philadelphia College of Pharmacy
Positions and Employment
- Professor Emeritus, Pharmacy Practice, Wayne State University, 2021–present
- Associate Dean – Pharmacy, Wayne State University, 2017–2021
- Professor (Clinical), Pharmacy Practice, Wayne State University, 2005–2021
- Director of Experiential Education, Wayne State University, 2012–2017
- Director of Health-System Pharmacy Experiential Education, Wayne State University, 2005–2012
- Director, Office of Human Research Protection, William Beaumont Hospital, 2003–2004
- Director of Pharmaceutical Services, William Beaumont Hospital-RO, 1980–2003
- Assistant Professor Clinical Pharmacy, Wayne State University 1976–1977
- Staff Pharmacist, The Ohio State University Hospitals, 1971–974
Awards and Honors
Dr. Lucarotti has been recognized by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists with the Award for Distinguished Leadership in Health-System Pharmacy. He is a recipient of the Michigan Society of Health-System Pharmacists Pharmacist of the Year and Joseph A. Oddis Leadership Awards, and the Wayne County Pharmacists Association John H. Webster Award, in honor of exemplary contributions to the profession of pharmacy. Dr. Lucarotti is also a recipient of the University of Pittsburgh Distinguished Alumni Award.
- American Society of Hospital Pharmacists
- Council on Educational Affairs, 1983 - 87 (Vice Chair 1985 - 86; Chair 1986 - 87)
- Elected delegate from Michigan to ASHP House of Delegates 1980, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1992
- Commission on Credentialing, (Residency Programs Accreditation) 1988 - 1993
- Vice-Chair 1990; Chair 1991, 1992
- ASHP Administrative Pharmacy Practice SIG - Chair 1987 - 1988
- Michigan Society of Hospital Pharmacists
- Board of Directors - 1982 - 1985
- Presidential Officer - 1985 – 1988
- Executive Vice President - 1991 - 2017
- Southeastern Michigan Society of Hospital Pharmacists
- Board of Directors - 1979 - 1981
- Presidential Officer - 1981 - 1984
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- American Pharmaceutical Association
- Rho Chi Pharmaceutical Honor Society
- Kappa Psi Pharmaceutical Fraternity
Areas of Expertise
- Pharmacy practice development
- Integrating pharmacy education and practice
- Smith AL, Garwood C Bailey T, DeCator D, Elder J, Green A, Kostoff D, Lucarotti RL, MacDonald NC, Malburg D, Ottney A, Remington TL, Shuster J. State Affiliate Initiative to Advance Ambulatory Care Practice. Am J Health-System Pharmacy 73(23) 1909-1914 (December) 2016 DOI: https://doi.org/10.2146/ajhp160392
- Bickel RJ, Collins CD, Lucarotti RL, Stevenson JG, Pawlicki P, Baumann TJ, and Pratt DM. Moving the Pharmacy Practice Model Initiative forward within a state affiliate. Am J Health System Pharm 71:1679-1685 (October 1), 2014 DOI: https://doi:10.2146/ajhp140056
- Smythe MA, Shah PP, Spiteri TL, Lucarotti RL, Begle RL. Pharmaceutical Care in Medical Progressive Care Patients. Ann Pharmacotherapy 32:294-299 (March) 1998.
- Lucarotti RL, Coordinator and Editor for Cardiac Drugs, Chapter 20, pages 517-595, in Book Essentials of Cardiovascular Medicine, Physicians Press, Birmingham, MI, 1994.
- Smythe MA, Loughlin K, Lucarotti RL, Schad RF. Patient-Controlled Analgesia Versus Intramuscular Analgesic Therapy. Am J Hosp Pharm 51:1433-1440 (June 1) 1994.
- Lucarotti RL, May JR: Workshop 1: Is a Merger of the General Hospital and Clinical Residency Standards Needed? Proceedings of the 1989 National Residency Preceptors Conference. Am J Hosp Pharm, 47:114-116 (January) 1990.
- Lucarotti RL: JCAH Survey Experience: William Beaumont Hospital, Am J Hosp Pharm, 43:2426-2428 (October) 1986.
- Lucarotti RL: Functional Myopia in Hospital Pharmacy, Topics in Hosp Pharm Mgmt 6:1-6 (May) 1986 issue.
- Schad RF, Lucarotti RL: Developing a Home Care Antibiotic Teaching Program, Am J Hosp Pharm 43:372-5 (February) 1986.
- Helper CD, Lucarotti RL, Rehder TL, Slotfeldt ML: Improving Patient-Orientated Pharmacy Services: Panel Discussion, Am J Hosp Pharm 42: 1950-6 (September) 1985.
- Lucarotti RL: Should Clinical Pharmacists Have Joint Responsibility for Clinical and Distributive Functions, or Should They Concentrate Solely on Clinical Practice?, Pharmacy Forum, The Pfipharmecs Management Letter, Vol 3, No.2, p4, 1985.
- Burkle WS, Lucarotti RL: Videotaped Patient Medication Instruction Program Using Closed - Circuit Television, Am J Hosp Pharm 41:105-107 (January) 1984.
- Matzke GR, Burkle WS, Lucarotti RL: Aminoglycoside Dosing guidelines, Drug Intell and Clin Pharm 17:425-432 (June) 1983.
- Lawler MC, Lucarotti RL: Clinical Pharmacist Impact on Parenteral Cephalosporin Prescribing, Hospital Formulary 18:402-408 (April) 1983.
- Matzke GR, Lucarotti RL, Shapiro HS: Controlled Comparison of Gentamicin and Tobramycin Nephrotoxicity, Am J Nephrol 3:11-18 (Jan) 1983.
- Lucarotti RL, Jennings RH: Standard Administration Labels for Drugs Administered by Continuous Infusion, Hospital Pharmacy 17:605-607 (November) 1982.
- Matzke GR, Lloyd C, Lucarotti RL: Evaluation of the Use of Serum Aminoglycoside Concentrations. Hospital Pharmacy 16:481-482 (March) 1982.
- Burkle WS, Matzke GR, Lucarotti RL: Development of Competency Standards for Quality Assurance in Pharmacokinetics. Hospital Pharmacy 15:494-496 (October) 1980.
- Miller DA, Lucarotti RL et al: Perceived Clinical Significance of Consultant Pharmacist Recommendations in the Skilled Nursing Facility. Drug Intell Clin Pharm 13:182-186 (March) 1980, and republished Del Med Jrl 53:215-219 (April) 1981.
- Lucarotti RL, Miller DA: Treatment of Gout, Self-assessment of Current Knowledge in Clinical Pharmacy, Chapter 20, pgs. 263-268, Med Exam Pub Co Inc, Garden City, New York Nov. 1978.
- Lucarotti RL, Fish KH: Training Staff Pharmacists for Clinical Positions. Am J Hosp Pharm 35:1227-1230 (October) 1978.
- Vlasses PH, Lucarotti RL et al: Drug Therapy Review in a Skilled Nursing Facility: An Innovative Approach. J Am Pharm Assoc NA 17:92-94 (February) 1977.
- Lucarotti RL, Miller DM: Oral Bronchodilators: Drug Evaluation and Therapeutic Considerations. U.S. Pharmacist 2:34-41 (January) 1977.
- Lucarotti RL, Prisco HJ et al: Pharmacist-Coordinated Self-Administration Medication Program on an Obstetrical Service. Am J Hosp Pharm 30:1147-1150 (December) 1973.
- Lucarotti RL, Colaizzi JL et al: Enhanced Pseudoephedrine Absorption by Concurrent Administration of Aluminum Hydroxide Gel in Humans. J Pharm Sci 61:903-905 (June) 1972.