Michael Joseph Rybak
EACPHS, Room 4148
- Professor of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, School of Medicine
- Professor of Pharmacy Practice, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences (Adjunct), Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Director, Anti-Infective Research Laboratory
Michael Joseph Rybak
Degrees and Certifications
- Ph.D. Public Health, Walden University, 2011-2016
- M.P.H. Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit 1998-2005
- Pharm.D. Wayne State University, Detroit 1979-1981, Pharmacy
- B.S. Northeastern University, Boston, 1976-1979, Pharmacy
- State University College of Buffalo, Buffalo, 1975-1976, Biology
- Associates Erie Community College, Amherst, 1973-1975, Science
- Added Qualification for Infectious Disease Pharmacotherapy, 3/2000, American Pharmaceutical Association
- Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist, 1992, Board of Pharmaceutical Specialties
Positions and Employment
- 2016-Present: Honors and Awards Committee Roster and Charges
- 2016-17: Tenure-Track Faculty Search Committee-Chair
- 2014-16: Division of Pharmacy Curriculum Committee
- 2009-Present: Department of Pharmacy Practice Promotion and Tenure Committee
- 2008-Present: Department of Pharmacy Practice Faculty Merit and Selective Salary Committee
- 2006-Present: Clinical Translational Research Committee, Wayne State University
- 2003-Present: Research Committee, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences Wayne State University
- 2003-09: Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences Team Management Committee
- 2003-09: Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences Research Committee
- 2003-09: Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences Executive Committee
- 10/2003-11: Associate Dean of Research, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences, Wayne State University
- 4/2002-Present: Director, Anti-Infective Research Laboratory, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences
- 2001-02: Academic Senate, Wayne State University
- 2001-02: Research & Grants Committee
- 1998-99: Problem Solving Course Committee
- 19998-2003: Extramural Clerkship Committee
- 1998-2005: Department of Pharmacy Practice Executive Committee
- 7/1998-Present: Detroit Medical Center Pharmacy and Therapeutics Antimicrobial Subcommittee
- 9/1998-6/2003: Promotion and Tenure Committee, College of Pharmacy (WSU), Chair
- 8/1995-Present: Professor of Medicine (Adjunct), Division of Infectious Diseases, Wayne State University
- 12/1994-6/1995: Chairman: Human Investigation Committee MO2, Wayne State University
- 2/1994-12/1994: Vice Chairman: Human Investigation Committee, Wayne State University
- 7/1993-7/2003: Director of Research & Education, Department of Pharmacy, Detroit Receiving Hospital & University Health Ctr.
- 5/1993-Present: Professor of Pharmacy Practice, Wayne State University School of Pharmacy
- 6/1990-4/2002: Director, Anti-Infective Research Laboratory, Detroit Receiving Hospital & University Health Center
- 8/1988-8/1995: Associate Professor of Medicine (Adjunct), Division of Infectious Diseases, Wayne State University
- 5/1987-5/1993: Associate Professor of Pharmacy Practice, Wayne State University
- 7/1985-Present: Director, Research Fellowship Program in Infectious Diseases Pharmacotherapy, Wayne State University
- 7/1981-5/1987: Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Practice, Wayne State University
Journal Editor Appointments
- Editor in Chief: Infectious Diseases and Therapy, 2013-Present
- Editorial Board Member: Critical Reviews Microbiology, 2008-Present
- Scientific Field Editor: Infectious Diseases: Pharmacotherapy, 1/1996-Present
- Scientific Editor: Infectious Diseases: Pharmacotherapy, 6/2000 - Present
- Chairman: Editorial Panel: Infectious Diseases: Annals of Pharmacotherapy, 1991-95
- Editorial Panel: Infectious Diseases: American Journal of Health System Pharmacists, 1994-98
- Editorial Panel: Infectious Diseases: Pharmacotherapy, 3/1995-6/2000
- Editorial Panel: Infectious Diseases: Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 1/1997, 1999, 2000-02
- Editorial Panel: Infectious Disease Pharmacotherapy, 7/1998-Present
- Reviewer: Clinical Infectious Diseases , Antimicrobial Agents Chemotherapy, Journal Antimicrobial Chemotherapy
Awards and Honors
- Charles H. Gershenson Distinguished Faculty Fellows award, 2018
- Van Greene Lecture Award, 2018
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy Therapeutics Frontiers Lecture Award, 2016
- Preceptor for the Outstanding Student Poster Award in Clinical Sciences, 2013
- Outstanding Achievement in Clinical Sciences Research Award, 2011
- Lead Industry Collaborator Award, Wayne State University, 2011
- Distinguished Alumni Award, Wayne State University, 2005
- The Russell R. Miller Award for Recognition of Sustained and Outstanding Contributions to the Literature of Clinical Pharmacy, 2004
- The Ted Goldberg Prize in Community Health, 2003
- Preceptor for Fellowships in Infectious Diseases Pharmacotherapy: 1985-87 (Lisa Albrecht, Pharm.D.), 1989-91 (Elaine Bailey, Pharm.D.*), 1990-92 (Kenneth Lamp, Pharm.D.), 1991-93 (Betty McGrath, Pharm.D.), 1992-94 (S. Lena Kang, Pharm.D.), 1993-95 (Shirley Palmer, Pharm.D.** and Diane Cappelletty, Pharm.D.), 1995-97 (Renee-Claude Mercier, Pharm.D. and Heather Houlihan, Pharm.D.), 1996-97 (Daniella Stokes, M.D.), 1996-98 (Jeffrey Aeschlimann, Pharm.D.), 1997-99 (Ellie Hershberger, Pharm.D.), 1998-2000 (Elizabeth Coyle, Pharm.D. and Ronda Akins, Pharm.D.), 1999-2001(George Allen, Pharm.D.***), 2000-2002 (Raymond Cha, Pharm.D.), 2002-2004 (Vanthida Huang, Pharm.D., Kerry Tedesco, Pharm.D.,), 2003-2005 (Kimberly Leuthner, Pharm.D., Brian Tsuji, Pharm.D.), 2005-2007 (Warren Rose, Pharm.D., Judy Chin, Pharm.D.), 2006-2008 (Steve Leonard, Pharm.D., Romal Bhan, M.D.), 2008-2011 (Celine Vidaillac, Pharm.D., Ravina Kullar, Pharm.D.), 2009-2011 (Molly E. Steed, Pharm.D.), 2010-2012 (Ashley Hall, Pharm.D.), 2011-2012 (Anthony Casapao, Pharm.D., Brian Werth, Pharm.D.), 2012-2014 (Katie Barber, Pharm.D.), 2013-2015 (Kimberly Claeys, Pharm.D., Jordan Smith, Pharm.D.), 2014-2016 (Juwon Yim, Pharm.D.), 2014-2017 (Evan Zasowski, Pharm.D.), 2015-2017 (Trang Trinh, Pharm.D.), 2015-2016 (Miriam Levine, M.D., Karl Hensen, M.D.), 2016-2017 (Meenal Malviya, M.D.), 2016-2019 (Seyedamened Jahanbakhsh, Ph.D., Razieh Kebriaei, Ph.D.), 2017-2019 (Sarah Jorgensen, Ph.D.), 2018-2020 (Jacinda Abdul, Pharm.D., Sara Alosaimy, Pharm.D.)
- * ACCP-Miles Infectious Diseases Fellowship Award, 1989
- ** ACCP-Ortho-McNeil Infectious Diseases Fellowship Award, 1994
- *** ACCP-Ortho-McNeil Infectious Diseases Fellowship Award, 2000
- ACCP-Merck Infectious Diseases Fellowship Award, 2003
- ACCP-Ortho-McNeil Infectious Diseases Fellowship Award, 2007
- American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, Award for Sustained Literature Contributions to the Pharmacy Literature for ASHP, 2002
- Impact paper in ID Pharmacists Research Award, SIDP 9/2000
- Distinguished Faculty Fellowship Award, Wayne State University, 4/1997
- Fellow, Infectious Disease Society of America, 9/1996
- Wayne State University Career Chair Development Award, 1992
- R.W. Johnson Research Institute Fellowship Award, 1992
- Wayne State University Academic Achievement Award for Natural Sciences, 1991
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy Fellow Recognition Award, 1991
- Merck Foundation Fellowship Award, 1990
- The Upjohn Pharmacy Research Award, Michigan Society of Hospital Pharmacists, 1990
Primary Research Interest
Dr. Rybak’s primary focus of research is antimicrobial pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics (PK/PD) and the assessment of infectious diseases health outcomes, including their relationship to bacterial resistance. His most recent work is focused on the laboratory and clinical outcomes assessment of combination therapy for methicillin and vancomycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, enterococcus and gram-negative pathogens.
Last two years
- Mishra NN, Tran TT, Seepersaud R, Garcia-de-la-Maria C, Faull K, Yoon A, Miro JM, Rybak MJ, Bayer AS, Arias CA, Sullam PM. Perturbations of Phosphatidate Cytidylyltransferase (CdsA) Mediate Daptomycin Resistance in Streptococcus mitis by a Novel Mechanism. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. 2017 Jan 23. pii: AAC.02435-16. doi: 10.1128/AAC.02435-16. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28115347.
- Rolston KV, Wang W, Nesher L, Smith JR, Rybak MJ, Prince RA. Time-kill determination of the bactericidal activity of telavancin and vancomycin against clinical methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates from cancer patients. Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease. 2016 Dec 16. pii: S0732-8893(16)30428-X. doi: 10.1016/j.diagmicrobio.2016.12.010. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 28109549.
- Yim J, Smith JR, Rybak MJ. Vancomycin-resistant E. faecium and the role of antibiotic combinations: Review of the current evidence. Pharmacotherapy, 37: 579-592. doi:10.1002/phar.1922. 2017 Jan 27. ID 09-16-0574.R1.
- Garcia de la Maria C, Xiong Y, Pericas J, Armero Y, Moreno A, Mishra N, Rybak MJ. Impact of High-Level Daptomycin-Resistance in Streptococcus mitis group on Virulence and Survivability during Daptomycin Treatment in Experimental Infective Endocarditis. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. February 2017. 61:e02418-16. doi: 10.1128/AAC.02418-16.
- Yim J, Smith J, Singh N, Rice S, Stamper K, Garcia-de-la-Maria C, Bayer A, Mishra NN, Miro JM, Tran C, Arias C, Sullam P, Rybak MJ. Evaluation of Daptomycin Combinations with Cephalosporins or Gentamicin against Streptococcus mitis group stains in an In Vitro Model of Simulated Endocardial Vegetations (SEVs). Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. 2017 May 5. doi: 10.1093/jac/dkx130.
- Yim J, Smith JR, Rybak MJ. Role of Combination Antimicrobial Therapy for Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococcus faecium Infections: Review of the Current Evidence. Pharmacotherapy: The Journal of Human Pharmacology and Drug Therapy. 37(5):579-592. doi: 10.1002/phar.1922.
- Trinh TD, Zasowski EJ, Claeys KC, Lagnf AM, Kidambi S, Davis SL, Rybak MJ. Multidrug-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa Lower Respiratory Tract Infections in the Intensive Care Unit: Prevalence and Risk Factors. Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease. 2017 June 19. doi: 10.1016/j.diagmicrobio.2017.06.009.
- Claeys KC, Zasowski EJ, Lagnf AM, Levine DP, Davis SL, Rybak MJ. Novel Application of Published Risk Factors for Methicillin-Resistant S. aureus in Acute Bacterial Skin and Skin Structure Infections. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents. 2017 June 28. doi: 10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2017.05.015.
- Aires CAM, Rybak MJ, Yim J, Pereira PS, Rocha-de-Souza CM, Albano, RM, Cavalcanti VO, Assef APDC, Gomes MZR, Asensi MD. Genomic Characterization of an extensively drug-resistant KPC-2-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae ST855 (CC258) only susceptible to ceftazidime-avibactam isolated in Brazil. Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease. 2017 August 25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diagmicrobio.2017.08.017.
- Finch NA, Zasowski EJ, Murray KP, Mynatt RP, Zhao JJ, Yost R, Pogue JM, Rybak MJ. The Impact of Vancomycin Area Under the Concentration-Time Curve-Guided Dosing on Vancomycin-Associated Nephrotoxicity: a Quasi-Experiment. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. 2017 September 18. pii: AAC.01293-17. doi: 10.1128/AAC.01293-17.
- Zasowski EJ, Murray KP, Trinh TD, Finch NA, Pogue JM, Mynatt RP, Rybak MJ. “Identification of Vancomycin Exposure-Toxicity Thresholds in Hospitalized Patients Receiving Intravenous Vancomycin.” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. 2017 October 30. pii: AAC.01684-17. doi: 10.1128/AAC.01684-17.
- Claeys KC, Zasowski EJ, Trinh TD, Lagnf AM, Davis SL, Rybak MJ. Antimicrobial Stewardship Opportunities in Critically Ill Patients with Gram-Negative Lower Respiratory Tract Infections: A Multicenter Cross-Sectional Analysis. Infectious Diseases and Therapy. 2017 November 21. doi: 10.1007/s40121-017-0179-5.
- Beganovic M, Luther MK, Rice LB, Arias CA, Rybak MJ, LaPlante KL. A review of combination antimicrobial therapy for Enterococcus faecalis bloodstream infections and infective endocarditis. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2018 Jan 30. doi: 10.1002/phar.2092.
- Trinh TD, Zasowski EJ, Claeys KC, Casapao AM, Compton M, Lagnf AM, Kidambi SD, Levine DP, Rybak MJ. Role of Vancomycin Inhibitory Concentrations by Modified Population Analysis Profile Method and Clinical Outcomes in High Inoculum Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Infections. Infectious Diseases and Therapy. 2018 February 22. doi: 10.1007/s40121-018-0187-0.
- Jorgensen SCJ, Rybak MJ. Meropenem and vaborbactam: Stepping up the battle against carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae. Pharmacotherapy. 2018 Feb 10. doi: 10.1002/phar.2092
- Smith JR, Yim J, Rice S, Kebriaei R, Rybak MJ. The combination of tedizolid and daptomycin against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in an in vitro model of simulated endocardial vegetations. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. 2018 March 12. doi: 10.1128/AAC.00101-18.
- Tran K, Rybak MJ. Beta-Lactams combinations with Vancomycin provide synergy against VSSA, hVISA, and VISA. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. 2018 March 19. doi: 10.1128/AAC.00157-18.
- Jorgensen SCJ, Mercuro NJ, Davis SL, Rybak MJ. Delafloxacin: Place in Therapy and Review of Microbiologic, Clinical and Pharmacologic Properties. Infectious Diseases and Therapy. 2018 March 31. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40121-018-0198-x
- Singh NB, Yim J, Jahanbakhsh S, Sakoulas G, Rybak MJ. Impact of Cefazolin Co-administration with Vancomycin to Reduce Development of Vancomycin Intermediate Staphylococcus aureus. Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease. 2018 April 7. pii: S0732-8893(18)30113-5. doi: 10.1016/j.diagmicrobio.2018.03.020. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 29807674
- Kebriaei R, Rice SA, Singh KV, Stamper KC, Dinh AQ, Rios R, Dias L, Murray BE, Munita JM, Tran TT, Arias CA, Rybak MJ. Efficacy of Daptomycin Monotherapy and In Combination with Beta-Lactams for Daptomycin-Susceptible Enterococcus faecium Harboring LiaSR Substitutions Influence of The Inoculum Effect. Antimicrobal Agents and Chemotherapy. 2018 May 14. pii: AAC.00315-18. doi: 10.1128/AAC.00315-18. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jahanbakhsh S, Singh NB, Yim J, Rybak MJ. Evaluation of Telavancin Alone and Combined with Ceftaroline or Rifampin against Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in an in vitro Biofilm Model. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. 2018 May 21. pii: AAC.00567-18. doi: 10.1128/AAC.00567-18. [Epub ahead of print]
- Bhise K, Sau S, Kebriaei R, Rice S, Stamper K, Alsaab HO, Rybak MJ, Iyer AK. Combination of Vancomycin and Cefazolin Lipid Nanoparticles for Overcoming Antibiotic Resistance of MRSA. Materials. 2018 July 20. 11(7), 1245; https://doi.org/10.3390/ma11071245
- Tran T, Mishra N, Diaz L, Rios R, Dinh A, Seepersaud R, Garcia de la Maria C, Rybak MJ, Miro J, Sullam P, Shelburne S, Bayer A, Arias C. Mutations in cdsA and pgsA Correlate with Daptomycin Resistance in S. mitis/oralis. Submitted to Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. 2018 July 20.
- Jorgensen SCJ, Mcdonald P, Mynatt RP, Pogue JM, Lerner SA, Dhar S, Salimnia H, Rybak MJ. Averting the post-antibiotic era: successful use of meropenem-vaborbactam for carbapenem-resistant Serratia marcescens and Enterobacter aerogenes bacteremia in a hemodialysis patient. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. 2018 September 4. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dky346
- Avery LM, Kuti JL, Weisser M, Egli A, Rybak MJ, Zasowski EJ, Arias CA, Contreras GA, Chong PP, Aitken SL, DiPippo AJ, Wang JT, Britt NS, Nicolau DP. Pharmacodynamic Analysis of Daptomycin-Treated Enterococcal Bacteremia: It Is Time to Change the Breakpoint. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2018 September 5. https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciy749
- Claeys KC, Zasowski EJ, Lagnf AM, Sabagha N, Levine DP, Davis SL, Rybak MJ. Development of a Risk-Scoring Tool to Determine Appropriate Level of Care in Acute Bacterial Skin and Skin Structure Infections in an Acute HealthcareSetting. Infect Dis Ther. 2018 Sep 22. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40121-018-0212-3
- Xhemali X, Smith JR, Kebriaei R, Rice SA, Stamper KC, Compton M, Singh NB, Jahanbakhsh S, Rybak MJ. Evaluation of dalbavancin alone and in combination with β-lactam antibiotics against resistant phenotypes of Staphylococcus aureus. JAntimicrob Chemother. 2018 Sep 27. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dky376
- Emily L. Heil, Kimberly C. Claeys, Ryan P. Mynatt, Teri L. Hopkins, Karrine Brade, Ian Watt, Michael J. Rybak and Jason M. Pogue. Making the change to area under the curve–based vancomycin dosing. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy October 2018, ajhp180034; DOI: https://doi.org/10.2146/ajhp180034
- Jorgensen, Sarah; Lagnf, Abdalhamid; Bhatia, Sahil; Shamim, Muhammad-Daniayl; Rybak, Michael. Sequential Intravenous-to-Oral Outpatient Antibiotic Therapy for Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Bacteremia: One Step Closer. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. 2018 Nov 09 https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dky452
- Michael J. Rybak, Evan J. Zasowski, Sarah C.J. Jorgensen, Abdalhamid M. Lagnf, Susan L. Davis, Aaron B. Mendelsohn, Vasileios Margaritis. Risk Factors for Bloodstream Infections among an Urban Population with Skin and Soft Tissue Infections: A Retrospective Unmatched Case-Control Study. Infectious Diseases and Therapy. 2018 December 04. https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.7416182
- Tran TT, Mishra NN, Seepersaud R, Diaz L, Rios R, Dinh AQ, Garcia-de-la-Maria C, Rybak MJ, Miro JM, Shelburne S, Sullam PM, Bayer AS, Arias CA. Mutations in cdsA and pgsA Correlate with Daptomycin Resistance in S. mitis /oralis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2018 Dec 3. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.01531-18
- Sara Alosaimy, Sarah C.J. Jorgensen, MichaelJ. Rybak. The Optimal Use of the Polymyxins Before their Time is Up. Pharmacotherapy: The Journal of Human Pharmacology and Drug Therapy January 08, 2019. (DOI) - 10.1002/phar.2207
- Jorgensen SCJ, Lagnf AM, Bhatia S, Rybak MJ. A new simplified predictive model for mortality in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases. 2019 Feb 8. doi: 10.1007/s10096-018-03464-0.
- Jorgensen SCJ, Lagnf AM, Bhatia S, Singh N, Shammout L, Davis SL, Rybak MJ. Diagnostic stewardship: a clinical decision rule for blood cultures in community-onset methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus skin and soft tissue infections. Infectious Diseases and Therapy. [Accepted 05 Feb. 2019]