When you make a mistake, learn from it, pick yourself up and move on.Dave Pelzer
Andrew David Berti
Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Room 4122
Degrees and Certifications
|2016||Postdoctoral Fellowship, Antistaphylococcal Pharmacotherapy - University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison WI|
Pharm.D. - University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison WI
|2009||Ph.D. Bacteriology - University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison WI|
|2003||B.S. Microbiology - University of Rochester, Rochester NY|
Positions and Employment
|2017 - Present||Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Practice, Wayne State University, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Detroit, MI|
|2016 - 2017||Infectious Diseases Research Scientist, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI|
|2014 - 2016||Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Dr. Warren E. Rose), University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI|
|2010 - 2014||Research Associate (Dr. Warren E. Rose), University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI|
|2009 - 2010||Quality Assurance Analyst, EPIC Systems Corporation, Verona, WI|
|2003 - 2009||Graduate Research Assistant (Dr. Michael G. Thomas), University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI|
|1999 - 2003||Undergraduate Research Assistant (Dr. J. Scott Butler), University of Rochester, Rochester, NY|
Awards and Honors
- EACPHS Faculty Research Award (Individual, 2018)
- ASM Microbe Travel Award (2016)
- Zeeh Pharmaceutical Experiment Station Director’s Award in Science and Technology (2014)
- ICAAC Infectious Disease Fellow (2014)
- AACP Walmart Scholar (2013)
- Jerome Stefaniak Fellow, UW-Madison, Microbiology Doctoral Training Program (2008)
- DeKiewiet Fellow, University of Rochester (2002)
- European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (2017)
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (2017)
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (2017)
- Society of Infectious Diseases Pharmacists (2012)
- Wisconsin Society of Pharmacy Students (2010)
- American Pharmacists Association (2010)
- American Society for Microbiology (2005)
Areas of Expertise
Antimicrobial Pharmacotherapy, Bacterial Metabolism, Secondary Metabolism/Metabolic Engineering, Molecular Biology, Recombinant Genetics, Enzymology, Pharmacokinetics/Pharmacodynamics, Mechanisms of Antimicrobial Resistance, Antimicrobial Tolerance
Primary Research Interest
RESEARCH OPPORTUNITIES ARE AVIALABLE FOR STUDENTS AND TRAINEES INTERESTED IN BACTERIAL METABOLISM AS WELL AS ANTI-INFECTIVES RESEARCH
Combination Antimicrobial Therapy, Mechanisms of Antimicrobial Resistance, Mechanisms of Antimicrobial Tolerance, Optimization of Pharmacological Interventions
1. Berti AD, Shukla N, McCrone JS, Turner HM, Monk IR, Baines SL, Howden BP, Proctor RA, Rose WE (in press). Daptomycin selects for genetic and phenotypic adaptations leading to antibiotic tolerance in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. J Antimicrob Chemother. doi: 10.1093/jac/dky148.
2. Ritscher AM, Ranum N, Malak JD, Ahrabi-Fard S, Baired J, Berti AD, Curtis W, Holden M, Jones CD, Kind J, Kinsey W, Koepke R, Schuaer SL, Steine E, CanOrman S, Ward BG, Zahner SJ, Hayney MS. Meningococcal serogroup B outbreak response at a large public university. Submitted to: J Amer Coll Health.
3. Fernandez-Llimos F, Berti AD, Yeung D et al. Scholarly publishing depends on peer reviewers. Pharm Pract. 2018;16(1):1236.
4. Zheng X, Berti AD, McCrone S, Roch M, Rosato AE, Rose WE, Chen B. Combination antibiotic exposure selectively alters the development of vancomycin intermediate resistance in Staphylococcus aureus. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2018;62(2):e02100-17.
5. Rose WE, Shukla SK, Berti AD, Hayney MS, Henriquez KM, Ranzoni A, Cooper MA, Proctor RA, Nizet V, Sakoulas G. Increased endovascular Staphylococcus aureus inoculum is the link between elevated serum interleukin 10 concentrations and mortality in patients with bacteremia. Clin Infect Dis. 2017;64(10):1406-1412.
6. Berti AD, Theisen E, Sauer JD, Nonejuie P, Olson J, Pogliano J, Sakoulas G, Nizet V, Proctor RA, Rose WE. Penicillin binding protein 1 is important in the compensatory response of Staphylococcus aureus to daptomycin-induced membrane damage and is a potential target for β-lactam-daptomycin synergy. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015;60(1):451-458.
7. Berti AD, Baines SL, Howden BP, Sakoulas G, Nizet V, Proctor RA, Rose WE. Heterogeneity of genetic pathways toward daptomycin nonsusceptibility in Staphylococcus aureus determined by adjunctive antibiotics. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015;59(5):2799-2806.
8. Berti AD, Hutson PR, Schulz LT, Webb AP, Rose WE. Compatibility of cefepime and vancomycin during simulated Y-site administration of prolonged infusion. Am J Health Sys Pharm. 2015;72(5):390-395.
9. Berti AD, Sakoulas G, Nizet V, Tewhey R, Rose WE. β-lactam antibiotics targeting PBP1 selectively enhance daptomycin activity against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013;57(10):5005-5012.
10. Rose WE, Berti AD, Hatch JB, Maki DG. Relationship of in vitro synergy and treatment outcome with daptomycin plus rifampin in patients with invasive methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013;57(7):3450-3452.
11. Rose WE, Schulz LT, Andes D, Striker R, Berti AD, Hutson PR, Shakula SK. Addition of ceftaroline to daptomycin after emergence of daptomycin-nonsusceptible Staphylococcus aureus during therapy improves antibacterial activity. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012;56(10):5296-5302.
12. Berti AD, Wergin JE, Girdaukas GG, Hetzel SJ, Sakoulas G, Rose WE. Alterting the proclivity towards daptomycin resistance in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus using combinations with other antibiotics. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012;56(10):5046-5053.
13. Berti AD*, Felnagle EA*, Jackson EE*, Chan YA*, Podevels AM*, McMahon MD*, Thomas MG. Nonribosomal peptide synthetases involved in the production of medically relevant natural products. Mol Pharm. 2008;5(2):191-211. * authors contributed equally to this work
14. Berti AD, Greve NJ, Christensen QH, Thomas MG. Identification of a biosynthetic gene cluster and the six associated lipopeptides involved in swarming motility of Pseudomonas syringae pv. tomato DC3000.J Bacteriol. 2007;189(17):6312-6323.
15. Felnagle EA, Rondon MR, Berti AD, Crosby HA, Thomas MG. Identification of the biosynthetic gene cluster and an additional gene for resistance to the antituberculosis drug capreomycin. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2007;73(13):4162-4170.