You must be the change you wish to see in the world.Mahatma Gandhi
Sara F. Maher PT, DScPT, OMPT
EACPHS, Room 2252
- Director (Academic), Physical Therapy, Department of Health Care Sciences
- Associate Professor (Clinical), Physical Therapy, Department of Health Care Sciences
Degrees and Certifications
- Doctor of Science in Physical Therapy (DScPT), Oakland Unviersity, 2006
- Graduate Certificate in Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapy, Oakland University, 2004
- Master of Physical Therapy, Wayne State University, 1999
- Bachelor of Science in Allied Health Science, Wayne State University, 1997
- Bachelor of Music, Western Michigan University, 1990
- Educational Leadership Fellow, American Physical Therapy Association, 2014
- Ergonomic Assessment Specialist, Back School of Atlanta, 2001
Positions and Employment
- Associate Professor, Oakland University, 2012-2014
- Assistant Professor, Oakland University, 2006-2012
- Graduate Assistant, Oakland University, 2005
- Physical Therapist in numerous orthopedic sites throughout Michigan, 1999-2014
Areas of Expertise
- Workplace and performance injuries (prevention and treatment)
- Treatment of wounds
- Therapeutic Modalities
- Sebelien C, Stiller C, Maher S, Qu X.Effects of implementing Nordic hamstring exercises for semi-professional soccer players in Norway. Orthopedic Physical Therapy Practice.2014;26(2)91-97.
- Maher S, Halverson J, Misiewicz R, Reckling T, Smart O, Benton C, Schoenherr, D. Low-frequency ultrasound for patients with lower leg ulcers due to chronic venous insufficiency: a report of two cases. Osteomy Wound Management. 2014;60(2):52-61.
- Maher S. The effects of engagement activities on pre-physical therapy students across one semester of class. Student Engagement and Experience Journal. 2013;2(2). ISSN(online)2047-9476. DOI 10.7190/seej.v212.65
- Beckman J, Krauss J, Maher S, Qu X. Instability training using a combination of home exercises and redcord for the management of low back pain in pre-professional ballet dancers: A case series. Journal of Dance & Medicine Science. 2013;17(1):24-33.
- Maher S, Dorko L, Saliga S. Linear scar reduction using silicone gel sheets in individuals with normal healing. Journal of Wound Care.2012;21(12):1-6
- Maher S, McGlothlin C. Does implementation of a minimal lift policy change job satisfaction levels and number of workers compensation injuries among direct care staff? A case study in an extended care facility. Journal of Safety, Health, and Environmental Research. 2011;7(2):31-38.
- Maher S, Gioannini A, Koslowski S, Puszczewicz A, Swanson J. Isolated exercises versus standard treatment for the shoulder in an industrial setting. Orthopaedic Physical Therapy Practice. 2011; 23(3):154-160.
- Kava KS, Larson CA, Stiller CH, Maher S. Trunk endurance exercise and the effect on instrumental performance: A preliminary study comparing Pilates exercise and a trunk and proximal upper extremity endurance exercise program. Music Performance Research. 2010; 3(1):1-30.
- Maher S, Kondratek M, Krauss J, Creighton D, Qu X. Postgraduate orthopedic manual physical therapy residents physical responses to peer practice of cervical manipulation. Journal of Physical Therapy Education.2010; 24(2):35-44.
- Maher S, Creighton D, Kondratek M, Krauss J, Qu X. The effect of tibio-femoral traction mobilization on passive knee flexion motion impairment and pain:A case series. Journal of Manual and Manipulative Therapy. 2010; 18(1):29-36
- Maher S. Is low-level laser therapy effective in the management of lateral epicondylitis? [Evidence in Practice.] Physical Therapy.2006; 86(8):1161-1167.