Institute of Gerontology offering free Caregiver Empowerment Program
The Institute of Gerontology (IOG) at Wayne State University has created the Caregiver Empowerment Program (CEP) to provide free Financial Coaching services to family and friend caregivers of older adults. In extensive focus groups held around metro Detroit, caregivers told the IOG managing someone else’s money was especially stressful. If you care for an older adult and would like assistance with financial management responsibilities, the Caregiver Empowerment Program can provide one-on-one assistance.
The Caregiver Empowerment Program helps older adults and caregivers understand the basics of sound financial planning, protect themselves from scams and exploitation, and recover financial health after a scam or identity theft. The program is grant supported and part of the institute’s SAFE (Successful Aging through Financial Empowerment) outreach arm. Services are an outgrowth of IOG Director Dr. Peter Lichtenberg’s nationally acclaimed research on older adult financial decision-making and vulnerability to exploitation.
Counseling is completely free and includes assistance:
- Obtaining the necessary legal documents and designations to manage a friend or relative’s finances.
- Proper record-keeping
- Filing consumer complaints and police reports when a friend or relative has been the victim of scams or identity theft
- Reviewing credit reports and addressing problems resulting from identity theft, including activating a fraud alert and closing accounts
- Preparing budgets for projections for the careful spending of a friend or relative’s money
- Carrying out difficult conversations with friends or relatives about assuming responsibility for their financial management
- Financial coaching services for caregiver financial issues
- And more
A Caregiver Empowerment counselor can meet in your home, at the IOG, or in a community setting. Assistance is safe, confidential and free. Contact Program Director LaToya Hall to learn more at email@example.com or 313-664-2608.