Why choose WSU
A premier university in the heart of Detroit
As Michigan's only urban research university, Wayne State is known for academic and research excellence, success across a diverse student body, and meaningful community engagement. Here are a few ways we stand out:
- More than $350 million awarded to WSU students annually in federal, state, institutional and private aid through scholarships, grants, loans and work-study programs.
- Significant opportunities for experiential learning and clinical practice at major health systems and urban community organizations within walking distance of campus.
- A partner with U-M and MSU in the University Research Corridor, which generates 95% of research in Michigan.
- Lowest undergraduate resident tuition among the state's three research universities.
- Ranked in the top 1.4% of universities worldwide.
- One of the nation's 50 largest public universities.
- Awarded the highest rankings for research and community engagement by the Carnegie Foundation.
- Offering a culturally rich, well-rounded, diverse educational experience in the heart of Detroit.
- More than 500 student organizations promoting camaraderie and hands-on experience beyond the classroom.