- Minimum of 2.50 GPA
- All pre-professional coursework must be completed with a grade of "C" or better
- All science and math coursework must be completed within six years of the time of application to the professional program.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)-required only if English is not your first language
- Minimum of 65 credits, including all program specific pre-requisites and University General Education requirements. A maximum of 64 credits can be transferred from a community college.
- Pre-professional coursework taken at an accredited college or university is acceptable
- Completion of all prerequisties by start of program.
- All applicants must attend one monthly Information Meeting at the Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. Additional information regarding attendance can be found on the College’s website at http://cphs.wayne.edu/meetings.php.
Course requirements prior to admission
There are two components of coursework that must be completed prior to starting in the Mortuary Science program: (1) Program-specific prerequisites; and (2) University General Education requirements. The professional curriculum in Mortuary Science consists of 55 credits, so an applicant must earn 65 credits in General Education and Prerequisite coursework.
Course grades and GPA
A student must earn a grade of C or higher in all prerequisite and general education courses taken prior to admission and must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher.
The courses below are listed by their title and course number at Wayne State University. For a listing of comparable courses at other institutions, visit www.transfercredit.wayne.edu or contact an academic advisor at cphsinfo.wayne.edu (313) 577-1716.
Prerequisites are designed to prepare students for courses in the professional curriculum and to broaden knowledge in areas relevant to funeral service practice. The following prerequisites must be satisfied:
- BIO 1510 Basic Life Mechanisms*
- BIO 2200 Introductory Microbiology
- BIO 2870 Anatomy & Physiology
- CHEM 1000 Chemistry & Your World *
- ACC 3010 Intro to Financial Accounting
- COM 1010 Basic Speech
- COM 3300 Business & Professional Presentations
- ENG 1020 Introductory College Writing
- ENG 3010 Intermediate Writing
- PSY 1010 Introductory Psychology*
- PSY 2600 Psychology of Social Behavior
- ANT 3100 Cultures of the World
- CSC 1000 Introduction to Computer Science*
- Mathematics Competency (MC)+
University General Education requirements
General Education courses are required for every graduate of Wayne State University. Applicants may satisfy the general education requirements and Mathematics Competency (MC)+ in one of the following ways:
- earning a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution,
- earning an Associate of Arts (AA), Associate of Liberal Arts (ALA), Associate of Science (AS) or Associate of Baccalaureate Studies (ABS) degree from a Michigan community college,
- obtaining a Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) stamp, or
- obtaining a MACRAO stamp.
The following General Education courses must be satisfied:
- Historical Studies (HS)*
- American Society and Institutions (AI)*
- Social Science (SS)
- Foreign Culture (FC)*
- Visual and Performing Arts (VP)
- Philosophy and Letters (PL)
- Critical and Analytic Thinking (CT)*
An asterisk (*) indicates courses or requirements that may be satisfied by examination or CLEP. Contact the WSU Office of Testing, Evaluation and Research at www.testing.wayne.edu or 313-577-3400 for further information.