Our mission is to advance the health and well being of society through the preparation of highly skilled health care practitioners, and through research to discover, evaluate, and implement new knowledge to improve models of practice and methods of treatment in pharmacy and allied health sciences from the urban to global levels.
We are a coalition of researchers, educators and practitioners from many professions who accomplish our mission by
- Preparing students to become practitioners who function effectively and efficiently in a rapidly changing, culturally diverse, multidisciplinary health care environment;
- Conducting basic, clinical and applied research directed toward the improvement of health care practice and methods of treatment;
- Developing researchers and scientists to create new knowledge and understanding which will enhance health care treatment and practice;
- Developing and maintaining collaborative relationships with healthcare providers, industry and other organizations which enrich student learning, support current research, and improve health care access, treatment and practice;
- Disseminating new knowledge and understanding to practitioners which will enhance healthcare treatment, health promotion and methods of practice;
- Disseminating knowledge to promote health within the community;
- Educating practitioners to enhance health care treatment, health promotion and methods of practice; and
- Influencing public policy to improve public health and welfare.
Our work is guided by
Our belief that the effective delivery of health care requires:
- a patient/client centered approach;
- a focus on health promotion and wellness;
- a multidisciplinary team approach; and
- the integration of basic, clinical and applied research and teaching.
Our belief that our graduates must
- excel in the arts and science of their profession;
- operate as part of a multidisciplinary team;
- practice in a multicultural environment;
- evaluate and apply new research findings to their practice; and
- observe ethical standards and demonstrate professional behaviors while practicing in a complex and challenging environment.
Our belief that as an academic institution, we must provide a supportive learning environment characterized by
- excellence in teaching by faculty who are active in their professions and leading scholars in their fields;
- the development of the social and professional skills necessary for student success in their fields;
- support services committed to ensuring the academic success of our students; and
- a physical environment conducive for active learning, providing access to diverse learning resources, and opportunities for social interaction.
Accepted by the Faculty of the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Profession on January 26, 2001.