$12,500 to be awarded in EACPHS diversity scholarship competition
The Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences Diversity Scholarship Competition is now open. Awards of $2,500 each will be presented to five recipients who contribute to a more diverse and engaged student body. The deadline to apply is Monday, March 25, at 4:45 p.m.
- The award will be deposited directly into recipients’ Wayne State accounts for tuition costs.
- Applicants will be notified of the competition results in April.
- Recipients must reapply and be reevaluated in order to receive a renewal of this award.
- Application deadline is Monday, March 25, at 4:45 p.m.
Student applicants must be current full-time graduate or undergraduate students accepted and in good academic standing in any of the academic programs in the Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.
How to apply
The completed application should include (in this order):
- A cover sheet including:
- Your name
- PID (ex. AA0000 or 000000000)
- Class level (ex. Professional Year I, Professional Year II...)
- Anticipated graduation date
- A personal statement (see below)
- A current résumé
- A current unofficial Wayne State transcript
- Applicant’s signature and date
Applications must be submitted no later than 4:45 p.m. on Monday, March 25, to Academic Services Officer Shauna Reevers in the Office of Student Affairs, Suite 1600 of the Applebaum Building at 259 Mack Ave.
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Personal statement guidelines
The personal statement (maximum of 500 words, double spaced) should include discussion on the following topics:
- Socioeconomic disadvantage
- First-generation college student
- What diversity means to you and why it is important in relation to your profession
- Overcoming substantial obstacles such as family or personal adversity, educational disability, and prejudice or discrimination
- Other factors that contribute to a diverse and engaged student body, including but not limited to geographic residence (specifically including the City of Detroit)
Requirements of accepted scholars
- Attendance at the WSU Applebaum Donors and Scholars Day event (May 15 and 16, 2019)
- Maintenance of a minimum GPA of 3.0 in all courses.
- Approximately 20 hours of service or volunteer hours within the student’s program (10 hours) and EACPHS (10 hours) toward diversity initiatives (Examples: Apple Days, Pro Bono Clinic, WSU Orientation, high school visit or other outreach activity, or other activity within your program)
If you have any questions, please contact Reevers at firstname.lastname@example.org.