Zhengping Yi, PhD
EACPHS Room 3146
Dr. Zhengping Yi is an Associate Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences. Dr. Yi joins Wayne State University from the School of Life Sciences at Arizona State University where he served as Research Assistant Professor since 2005 and was Director of the Proteomics Research Laboratory. Dr. Yi earned degrees from Nanjing University in Chemistry, investigating molecule-molecule interactions, culminating in his PhD in 2000. His postdoctoral research examined protein biochemistry at Purdue University and proteomics and diabetes at the University of Texas Health Sciences Center, San Antonio. His current research, funded by NIH and American Diabetes Association, explores insulin signaling, insulin resistance, and type 2 diabetes, focusing on the role of novel protein-protein interactions and phosphorylation in aberrant cell signaling.
Associate Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Director, Proteomics Research Laboratory
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy/Health Sciences
Ph.D., Nanjing University, P.R.China, 2000
12/2004 - 09/2005 Assistant Research Scientist, School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University
10/2005 - 01/2011 Assistant Research Professor, School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University
10/2005 - 01/2011 Director, Proteomics Research Laboratory, School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University
01/2011 - present Associate Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy/Health Sciences, Wayne State University
01/2011 - present Director, Proteomics Research Laboratory, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy/Health Sciences, Wayne State University
Member- in Grant Review Panels
02/2011, Mail reviewer, NIH/NIDDK, SPECIAL EMPHASIS PANEL, ZDK1 GRB-J (M1),PAR08-182: R24 COLLABORATIVE INTERDISCIPLINARY TEAM SCIENCE
03/2012, Study section member, NIH/NIDDK, SPECIAL EMPHASIS PANEL, ZDK1 GRB-7 (M2), PAR08-182: R24 COLLABORATIVE INTERDISCIPLINARY TEAM SCIENCE
11/2012, Reviewer, American Association of College of Pharmacy (AACP)
01/2012-6/2015, Study section member, American Diabetes Association's Research Grant Review Committee
·Journal of Proteomics & Bioinformatics
·Journal of Data Mining in Genomics & Proteomics
·International Journal of Clinical Pharmacology & Toxicology (IJCPT)
· Expert Review of Proteomics
· Journal of Proteome Research
· BBA - Proteins and Proteomics
· Cell Biochemistry & Function
· Current Proteomics
· Journal of Proteomics & Bioinformatics
· Journal of Proteomics
· PLoS One
· Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry
2005-present, American Diabetes Association
2005-present, American Society for Mass Spectrometry
2002-present, American Chemical Society
2001-2004, Protein Society
R01 DK081750-01A1 02/01/09-01/31/14 (NCE)
Human Skeletal Muscle Proteome and Phosphoproteome in Obesity and Type 2 diabetes
Translational Science Award #1-13-TS-27 07/01/13-06/30/16
American Diabetes Association
Effect of Exercise on Human Skeletal Muscle Tyrosine Phosphoproteome
Clinical/Translational Award 7-09-CT-56 07/01/09-06/30/13
American Diabetes Association
Regulation of the phosphoproteome in human skeletal muscle
1. Bailing Chen, Miaomiao Yu, Qingshan Chang, Yongju Lu, Chitra Thakur, Danjun Ma, Zhengping Yi, and Fei Chen, "Mdig de-represses H19 large intergenic non-coding RNA (lincRNA) by down-regulating H3K9me3 and heterochromatin”, Oncotarget, 2013 Aug 10. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 23965803.
2. Mohammad A Qasim, Lixia Wang, Sabiha Qasim, Stephen Lu, Wuyuan Lu, Michael Ranjbar, Richard Wynn, Zhengping Yi, and Michael Laskowski Jr, “Additivity-based design of the strongest possible turkey ovomucoid third domain inhibitors for porcine pancreatic elastase (PPE) and Streptomyces griseus protease B (SGPB)”, FEBS Letters, 2013 Sep 17;587(18):3021-6. Epub 2013 Jul 23. PMID: 23892073.
3. Xiao‐Wei Chen, He Wang, Kanika Bajaj, Pengcheng Zhang, Zhouxian Meng, Danjun Ma,Yongsheng Bai, Elizabeth Adams, Andrea Baines, Genggeng Yu, Maureen A. Sartor, Bin Zhang, Zhengping Yi, Jiandie Lin, Stephen G. Young, Randy Schekman, and David Ginsburg, "SEC24A Deficiency Lowers Plasma Cholesterol through Reduced PCSK9 Secretion", eLife, 2013 Apr 9;2:e00444.
4. Sophie E. Hussey, Carrie G. Sharoff, Andrew Garnham, Zhengping Yi, Benjamin Bowen, Lawrence J. Mandarino and Mark Hargreaves, "Effect of Exercise on the Skeletal Muscle Proteome in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes", Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, Epub 2012 Dec 27. PMID: 23274603.
5. Kimberly Pham, Paul Langlais, Xiangmin Zhang, Alex Chao, Morgan Zingsheim and Zhengping Yi, “Insulin-stimulated Phosphorylation of Protein Phosphatase 1 Regulatory Subunit 12B Revealed by HPLC-ESI-MS/MS”, Proteome Science, 2012 Sep 1;10(1):52. Epub 2012, Sept 1.
6. Thangiah Geetha, Paul Langlais, Michael Caruso, and Zhengping Yi, “Protein Phosphatase 1 Regulatory Subunit 12A and Catalytic Subunit, new members in the phosphatidylinositide 3-kinase Insulin Signaling Pathway”, Journal of Endocrinology, 2012 Sep; 214(3):437-43. Epub 2012 Jun 22. PMID: 22728334.
7. Xiangmin Zhang, Kurt Højlund, Moulun Luo, Christian Meyer, Geetha Thangiah, and Zhengping Yi, “Novel Tyrosine Phosphorylation Sites in Rat Skeletal Muscle Revealed by Phosphopeptide Enrichment and HPLC-ESI-MS/MS”, Journal of Proteomics, 2012 Jul 16;75(13):4017-26. Epub 2012 May 18.
8. Alex Chao; Xiangmin Zhang; Danjun Ma; Paul Langlais; Moulun Luo, Lawrence J. Mandarino, Morgan Zingsheim; Kimberly Pham; James Dillon, Zhengping Yi, “Site-Specific Phosphorylation of Protein Phosphatase 1 Regulatory Subunit 12A Stimulated or Suppressed by Insulin”, Journal of Proteomics, 2012 Jun 18;75(11):3342-50 Epub 2012, April 6. PMID: 22516431.
9. Sarah Everman, Zhengping Yi, Paul Langlais, Lawrence J. Mandarino, Moulun Luo, Christine Roberts, and Christos S. Katsanos, "Measurement of Stable-Isotope Enrichment of in Vivo Labeled Muscle ATP Synthase Beta Subunit Using HPLC-ESI-MS/MS", PLoS One. 2011; 6(10):e26171. Epub 2011 Oct 12. PMID: 22022551.
10. Paul Langlais, Zhengping Yi, Jean Finlayson, Moulun Luo, Rebekka Mapes Holmes, Elena A. De Filippis, Christian Meyer, E. Plummer, P. Tongchinsub, Mark Mattern, Lawrence J. Mandarino, “Global IRS-1 phosphorylation analysis in insulin resistance”, Diabetologia, 2011 Nov;54(11):2878-89. Epub 2011, Aug 18. PMID: 21850561.
11. Rebekka Mapes Holmes, Zhengping Yi, Elena A. De Filippis, Rachele Berria, Sadeka Shahani, Padma Sathyanarayana, Vadim Sherman, Kentaro Fujiwara, Christian Meyer, Christine Christ-Roberts, Hyonson Hwang, Jean Finlayson, Lilly. Q. Dong, Lawrence J. Mandarino, and Mandeep Bajaj, "Increased abundance of the adaptor protein containing pleckstrin homology domain, phosphotyrosine binding domain and leucine zipper motif (APPL1) in patients with obesity and type 2 diabetes: evidence for altered adiponectin signalling", Diabetologia, 2011 Aug; 54(8):2122-31. Epub 2011 May 12. PMID: 21562756.
12. Thangiah Geetha, Paul Langlais, Moulun Luo, Rebekka Mapes, Natalie Lefort, Shu-Chuan Chen, Lawrence J. Mandarino1 and Zhengping Yi, "Label-free Proteomic Identification of Endogenous, Insulin-stimulated Interaction Partners of Insulin Receptor Substrate-1", Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry, 2011 Mar;22(3):457-66. Epub 2011 Jan 29. PMID: 21472564. (Impact Factor: 3.830; 5-Year Impact Factor: 3.625). Role: corresponding author
13. Paul Langlais, Zhengping Yi, Lawrence J. Mandarino, “The Identification of Raptor as a Substrate for P44/42 MARK”, Endocrinology, 2011 Apr; 152(4):1264-73. Epub 2011 Feb 15. PMID: 21325048.
14. Lopes LB, Brophy CM, Flynn CR, Zhengping Yi, Bowen BP, Smoke C, Seal B, Panitch A, Komalavilas P., “A novel cell permeant peptide inhibitor of MAPKAP kinase II inhibits intimal hyperplasia in a human saphenous vein organ culture model”, Journal of Vascular Surgery. 2010 Dec; 52(6):1596-607. Epub 2010 Sep 22.
15. Natalie Lefort, Benjamin P. Bowen, Brian Glancy, Elena A. De Filippis, Rebekka Mapes, Hyonson Hwang, Charles R. Flynn, Wayne T. Willis, Anthony Civitarese, Kurt Hojlund, Zhengping Yi, and Lawrence J. Mandarino, “Increased ROS production and lower abundance of complex I subunits and carnitine palmitoyltransferase 1B protein despite normal mitochondrial respiration in insulin resistant human skeletal muscle”, Diabetes, 2010 Oct; 59(10):2444-52. Epub 2010 Aug 3.
16. Xitao Xie, Zhengping Yi, Benjamin Bowen, Cassandra Wolf, Charles R. Flynn, Sandeep Sinha, Lawrence J. Mandarino, and Christian Meyer, “Characterization of the Human Adipocyte Proteome and Reproducibility of Protein Abundance by One-dimensional Gel Electrophoresis and HPLC-ESI-MS/MS”, Journal of Proteome Research, 2010 Sep 3;9(9):4521-34. PMID: 20812759.
17. Paul Langlais, Lawrence J. Mandarino, and Zhengping Yi, “Label-free Relative Quantification of Co-eluting Isobaric Phosphopeptides of Insulin Receptor Substrate-1 by HPLC-ESI-MS/MS”, Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry, 2010 Sep; 21(9):1490-9. Epub 2010 Jun 9. PMID: 20594869.
18. Kurt Hojlund, Zhengping Yi, Natalie Lefort, Paul Langlais, Benjamin P. Bowen, Klaus Levin, Henning Beck-Nielsen, and Lawrence J. Mandarino, “Human ATP synthase beta is phosphorylated at multiple sites and shows abnormal phosphorylation at specific sites in insulin-resistant muscle”, Diabetologia, 2010 Mar;53(3):541-51. PMID: 20012595.
19. Hyonson Hwang, Benjamin P. Bowen, Natalie Lefort, Charles R. Flynn, Elena A. De Filippis, Christine Roberts, Chris Smoke, Christian Meyer, Kurt Hojlund, Zhengping Yi, and Lawrence J. Mandarino, “Proteomics Analysis of Human Skeletal Muscle Reveals Novel Abnormalities in Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus”, Diabetes, 2010 Jan;59(1):33-42. PMID: 19833877.
20. Kurt Hojlund, Benjamin P. Bowen, Hyonson Hwang, Charles R. Flynn, Lohith Madireddy, Thangiah Geetha, Paul Langlais, Christian Meyer, Lawrence J. Mandarino, and Zhengping Yi, “In vivo phosphoproteome of human skeletal muscle revealed by phosphopeptide enrichment and HPLC-ESI-MS/MS”, Journal of Proteome Research, 2009 Nov;8(11):4954-65. PMID: 19764811.
21. Natalie Lefort, Zhengping Yi, Benjamin P. Bowen, Brian Glancy, Elena A. De Filippis, Rebekka Mapes, Hyonson Hwang, Charles R. Flynn, Wayne T. Willis, Anthony Civitarese, Kurt Hojlund, and Lawrence J. Mandarino, “Proteome profile of functional mitochondria from human skeletal muscle using one-dimensional gel electrophoresis and HPLC-ESI-MS/MS”, Journal of Proteomics, 2009 Aug 20;72(6):1046-60. Epub 2009 Jun 28. PMID: 19567276.
22. Zhengping Yi, Benjamin P. Bowen, Hyonson Hwang, Christopher P. Jenkinson, Dawn K. Coletta, Natalie Lefort, Mandeep Bajaj, Sangeeta Kashyap, Rachele Berria, Elena A. De Filippis, and Lawrence J. Mandarino, "Global Relationship between the Proteome and Transcriptome of Human Skeletal Muscle", Journal of Proteome Research, 2008 Aug; 7(8):3230-41. Epub 2008 Jul 10. PMID: 18613714.
23. Kurt Højlund, Zhengping Yi, Hyonson Hwang, Benjamin P. Bowen, Natalie Lefort, Charles R. Flynn, Paul Langlais, Susan T. Weintraub, and Lawrence J. Mandarino, "Characterization of the Human Skeletal Muscle Proteome by One-dimensional Gel Electrophoresis and HPLC-ESI-MS/MS", Molecular & Cellular Proteomics, 2008 Feb;7(2):257-67. Epub 2007 Oct 1. PMID: 17911086.
24. Zhengping Yi, Paul Langlais, Elena A. De Filippis, Moulun Luo, Charles R. Flynn, Stefanie Schroeder, Susan T. Weintraub, Rebekka Mapes, and Lawrence J. Mandarino, “Global assessment of regulation of phosphorylation of insulin receptor substrate-1 by insulin in vivo in human muscle”, Diabetes. 2007 Jun; 56(6):1508-16. Epub 2007 Mar 14. PMID: 17360977.
25. Moulun Luo, Paul Langlais, Zhengping Yi, Natalie Lefort, Elena A. De Filippis, Hyonson Hwang, Christine Y. Christ-Roberts, and Lawrence J. Mandarino, “Phosphorylation of Human IRS-1 at Ser629 Plays a Positive Role in Insulin Signaling”, Endocrinology. 2007 Oct; 148(10):4895-905. Epub 2007 Jul 19. PMID: 17640984.
26. Tiana C. White, Zhengping Yi and Brenda G. Hogue, “Identification of Mouse Hepatitis Coronavirus A59 Nucleocapsid Protein Phosphorylation Sites”, Virus Research, 2007 Jun; 126(1-2):139-48.
27. Charles R. Flynn, Christopher C. Smoke, Elizabeth Furnish, Padding Komalavilas, Jeffrey Thresher, Zhengping Yi, Lawrence J. Mandarino, Colleen M. Brophy, “Phosphorylation and activation of a transducible recombinant form of human HSP20 in E. coli”, Protein Expression and Purification, 2007, 52, 50–58. Epub 2006 Sep 12. PMID: 17084643.
28. Zhengping Yi, Moulun Luo, Sara M. Reyna, Christopher A. Carroll, Susan T. Weintraub, and Lawrence J. Mandarino, “Quantification of Phosphorylation of Insulin Receptor Substrate-1 by HPLC-ESI/MS/MS”, Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry, 2006, 17(4), 562-7. Epub 2006 Feb 28. PMID: 16503154.
29. Zhengping Yi, Olga Vitek, M. A. Qasim, Stephen M. Lu, Wuyuan Lu, Michael Ranjbar, Jiangtian Li, Michael C. Laskowski, Chris Bailey-Kellogg, and Michael Laskowski, Jr., “Functional Evolution within a Protein Superfamily”, Proteins-Structure, Function, and Bioinformatics, 2006, 63(3),697-708.
30. Zhengping Yi, M. A. Qasim, Sabiha Qasim, Terrell L. Warrington, and M. Laskowski, Jr. “Ring-Toss. Capping hyperexposed tyrosyl or tryptophyl residues in proteins by beta-cyclodextrin”, Biochimica et Biophysica Acta-General Subjects, 2006, 1760, 372-379.
31. Zhengping Yi, Moulun Luo, Christopher Carroll, Susan T. Weintraub, and Lawrence J. Mandarino, “Identification of Phosphorylation Motifs in Insulin Receptor Substrate (IRS)-1 by Hypothesis-Driven HPLC-ESI/MS/MS”, Analytical Chemistry, 2005, 77, 5693-5699. PMID: 16131083.
32. Moulun Luo, Sara Reyna, Lishan Wang, ZhengPing Yi, Christopher Carroll, Lily Q. Dong, Paul Langlais, Susan T. Weintraub, and Lawrence J. Mandarino, “Identification of IRS-1 Serine/Threonine Phosphorylation Sites Using Mass Spectrometry Analysis; Regulatory Role of Serine 1223”, Endocrinology, 2005, 146, 4410-4416. Epub 2005 Jul 14. PMID: 16020478.
33. Jiangtian Li, ZhengPing Yi, Michael Laskowski, Jr., Christopher J. Bailey-Kellogg, "Analysis of sequence-reactivity space for protein-protein interactions", Proteins-Structure, Function, and Bioinformatics, 2005, 58(3):661-671
34. Michael Laskowski, Jr., M. A. Qasim and ZhengPing Yi, "Additivity-based prediction of equilibrium constants for some protein–protein associations", Current Opinion in Structural Biology, 2003, Vol. 13 (1), 130-139.
35. M.A. Qasim, Wuyuan Lu, Stephen M. Lu, Michael Ranjbar, ZhengPing Yi, YiWen Chiang, Kevin Ryan, Stephen Anderson, Wenlei Zhang, Sabiha Qasim, and Michael Laskowski, Jr., “Testing of the Additivity Based Protein Sequence to Reactivity Algorithm”, Biochemistry, 2003, Vol. 42, 6460-6466.
36. Zheng-Ping Yi, Ju Hu, and Hui-Lan Chen, "The comparison of the orientation of sodium 3-hydroxy-2-naphtalenecarboxy-late anion in the cavity of beta-cyclodextrin and heptakis- (2, 3, 6-tri-o-methyl)-beta-cyclodextrin", Journal of Inclusion Phenomena and Macrocyclic Chemistry, 2003, Vol. 45, 1-7.
37. Zheng-Ping Yi, Hui-Lan Chen, Zhengzi Huang, Qing Huang, and Jun-Sheng Yu, “Contributions of weak interactions to the Inclusion Complexation of 3-Hydroxy -2-Naphthalenecarboxylic Acid and It’s Analogues with Cyclodextrins”, Journal of The Chemical Society-Perkin Transactions 2, 2000, 121.
38. Zheng-Ping Yi, Ju Hu, Qing Huang, and Hui-Lan Chen, “Conformational Analysis of the Inclusion Complex of 3-Hydroxy-2-Naphthalenecarboxylate Anion with Heptakis- (2, 3, 6-tri-o-methyl)-beta-Cyclodextrin in D2O by 2D 1HNMR”, Spectroscopy Letters, 2000, Vol. 33, 407.
39. Zheng-Ping Yi, Jian-Ping Zou, Yang Yang, Hui-Lan Chen, and Xi-Mao Bao, “The investigation of Si-based Nanoporous Alumina Film-Sodium 3-Hydroxy-2- Naphthalenecarboxylate Fluorescent Compound Material”, Chinese Journal of Semiconductors, 2000, Vol. 21(8), 770.
40. Zhengping Yi, Changchun Zhao, Zhengzi Huang, Huilan Chen, and Junsheng Yu, "Investigation of Buffer-Cyclodextrin System", Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 1999, Vol. 1, 441.
41. Zhengping Yi, Zhengzi Huang, Junsheng Yu, and Huilan Chen, “Be Careful When You Want to Use Buffers in Aqueous Solutions of Cyclodextrins. Effect of Buffers on the Formation Constants of 3-Hydroxy-2-Naphthoic Acid with Beta- Cyclodextrin”, Chemistry Letters, 1998, 1161.
42. Zhengping Yi, Changchun Zhao, Huilan Chen, and Junsheng Yu, “Effect of pH values on the formation constants of 3-Hydroxy-2-Naphthoic Acid with Beta-Cyclodextrin”, Chinese Journal of Inorganic Chemistry, 1997, Vol.13, 164.
43. Zhi-Lin Wang, Zheng-Ping Yi, Tian Li, Ying Chen, Zhi-Ming Huang, Gui-Di Yang, De-Ping Xue and Hui-Lan. Chen, “Studies on coenzyme B-12 model complexes.8. The characterization of products of photochemical reactions of oxygen insertion into Co-C bond of RCo (Salen) L complexes,” Chemical Journal of Chinese Universities-Chinese, 1996, Vol.17, 21.
Insulin resistance lies at the base of the array of diseases or pre-disease conditions known as the Metabolic Syndrome, including obesity, dyslipidemia, hypertension, cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes mellitus, and some cancers. Dr. Yi’s research focuses on a better understanding of the basic biology of insulin signaling and the etiology of insulin resistance. Dr. Yi and his group are using a combination of clinical, biological, and proteomic approaches to better comprehend insulin signaling and the associated problems that occur with obesity and T2D. Studying insulin signaling in humans is challenging. Dr. Yi’s laboratory has developed state-of-the-art techniques that can be used to better define and understand the effect of insulin in key metabolic tissues in humans such as skeletal muscle. These approaches are useful models for studying cell signaling pathways in general, and especially their regulation by protein phosphorylation and protein-protein interactions.
In addition to directing his independent laboratory working on insulin signaling both in vitro and in vivo, Dr. Yi also directs the Proteomics Research Laboratory in the College of Pharmacy. Proteomics offers the capability to simultaneously quantify multiple proteins, protein-protein interactions, and protein phosphorylation, providing a better picture of complex protein networks.
- Insulin resistance & type 2 diabetes
- Mass spectrometry & proteomics
- Signal transduction
- Protein phosphorylation
- Protein-protein interactions