Steven M. Firestine, PhD
EACPHS Room 3142
Associate Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
B.S. Chemistry - University of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI
PhD. Medicinal Chemistry - Purdue University, West Lafayette IN
Postdoc Enzymology - Pennsylvania State University, University Park PA
1988-1990 Undergraduate Research Assistant (Dr. James K. Coward),
1990-1995 Graduate Research Assistant (Dr. V. Jo Davission),
1996-2000 Postdoctoral Fellow (Dr. Stephen J. Benkovic), The
2000-2005 Assistant Professor of Medicinal Chemistry,
2005-2010 Assistant Professor of Medicinal Chemistry, Wayne State University, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Detroit, MI
2010-present Associate Professor of Medicinal Chemistry, Wayne State University, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Detroit, MI
1989 Gomberg Summer Research Fellowship,
1990 Merck Award,
1992-1993 NIH Predoctoral Training grant,
1994-1995 American Chemical Society Division of Medicinal Chemistry Predoctoral Fellowship,
1995 Jenkins/Knevel Award for Outstanding Graduate Research,
1996-1999 Damon Runyon-Walter Winchell Fellowship,
1999 ASBMB Travel Award,
2005 Outstanding Young Investigator,
34. Vooturi, S.K. and Firestine, S.M. Synthetic Membrane-Targeted Antibiotics. Curr. Med. Chem.,. 2010, 17, 2292-2300.
33. Thoden, J.B., Holden, H.M., Paritala, H., and Firestine, S.M. Structure and Site-Directed Mutagenesis of Aspergillus clavatus N5-Carboxylaminoimidazole Ribonucleotide Synthetase. Biochemistry, 2010, 49, 752-60.
32. Paritala, H. and Firestine, S.M. Characterization of insulin ILPR sequences for their ability to adopt a G-quadruplex structure. Nucleosides Nucleotides Nucleic Acids, 2010, 29, 81-90.
31. Vooturi, S.K. and Firestine, S.M.* Solution-Phase Parallel Synthesis of Novel Membrane-Targeted Antibiotics. J. Comb. Chem., 2010, 12, 151-160.
30. Vooturi, S.K., Cheung, C.M. Rybak, M.J., and Firestine, S.M.* Design, Synthesis, and Structure-Activity Relationships of Benzophenone-Based Tetraamides as Novel Antibacterial Agents. J. Med. Chem., 52, 5020-5031, 2009.
29. Paritala, H., and Firestine, S.M.* Benzo(h)quinoline derivatives as G-quadruplex binding agents. Bio. Med. Chem. Let., 19, 1584-1587, 2009.
28. Firestine, S.M.*, Paritala, H., McDonnell, J.E., Thoden, J. and Holden, H.M. Identification of Inhibitors of N5-Carboxylaminoimidazole Ribonucleotide Synthetase by High-throughput Screening. Bio. Med. Chem., 17, 3317-3323, 2009.
27. Firestine, S.M.*, Wu, W., Youn, H. and Davisson, V.J. Interrogating the Mechanism of a Tight Binding Inhibitor of AIR Carboxylase. Bio. Med. Chem., 17, 794-803, 2009.
26. Thoden, J.B., Holden, H.M.* and Firestine, S.M.* Structural Analysis of the Active Site Geometry of N5-Carboxyaminoimidazole Ribonucleotide Synthetase from Escherichia coli. Biochemistry, 47, 13346–13353, 2008.
25. Mamidyala, S.K. and Firestine, S.M.* Advances in Herpes Simplex Virus Antiviral Therapy, Expert Opinions in Therapeutic Patents, 16, 1463-1480, 2006.
24. Mamidyala, S.K. and Firestine, S.M.* Fluorous-phase synthesis of minor groove binding agents related to distamycin, Tet. Let., 47, 7431-7434, 2006.
23. Bednarski, D. and Firestine, S.M. * Regulation of transcription by synthetic DNA bending agents. ChemBioChem, 7, 1715-1721, 2006.
22. Mueller Stein, S.A., Loccisano, A.E., Firestine, S.M. and Evanseck, J.D.* Principal component analysis: a review of its application on molecular dynamics data. Ann. Rep. Comp. Chem., 2, 234-255, 2006.
21. Hooda, J. Bednarski, D., Irish, L. and Firestine, S.M.* Synthesis and testing of a Triaza-Cyclopenta[b]phenanthrene scaffold as a DNA binding agent. Bio. Med. Chem. 14, 1902-1909, 2006.
Antiinfective Drug Discovery; Organic Chemistry; Biochemistry; Chemical Biology