Initiatives and goals
We invite those of you who want to make a difference here at the college to join together with your fellow students on Thursday, July 9, at 6 p.m. on Zoom. This meeting, led by Maya Flores (Pathologists' Assistant) and Hannah Moore (PharmD), brings together all pharmacy and health sciences students interested in forming an alliance to advance social justice, racial understanding and diversity at EACPHS – and across our programs and professions. Learn more about the initiative here.
WSU Applebaum social justice student alliance
Thursday, July 9 • 6 p.m.
You will receive Zoom login credentials after you RSVP.
Please note: This meeting is for STUDENTS ONLY. As the group begins to plan and strategize, faculty and staff may be invited to support its goals.
Dear EACPHS scholars,
While the racially charged events of the past several weeks have felt devastating, they have also led to frank discussions and propelled many of us into action for change. The number of diversity-focused student groups that have very recently formed in our college is inspiring and brings me great hope.
That is why we are asking all pharmacy and health sciences students who are interested in – or already pursuing – action toward social justice and diversity initiatives at WSU Applebaum to complete this quick form by Monday, July 6.
Many of your classmates, including Maya Flores and Hannah Moore in the video above, have taken the lead to aggressively advance our college's diversity efforts, and Dean Cathy Lysack and her leadership team stand behind them with open ears and our full support. I hope you will embrace this opportunity to get involved and share ideas on interdisciplinary collaboration for social justice. When we work together, we have the greatest impact as WSU Warriors.
Please take a minute to complete the social justice interest form now. We will use the information collected to organize a preliminary online meeting as soon as possible.
Thank you for your dedication to making our college a better place.
Mary K. Clark, Ph.D.
Assistant Dean, Student Affairs
Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
Wayne State University
Nurturing a robust culture in health care education
Through its Council on Diversity and Inclusion (CoDI), the college is actively working to create a transformative culture that embraces and diverse and inclusive environment, which is at the very core of achieving effectiveness, excellence and integrity in our teaching, research and service missions.
This culture will:
- Drive more relevant learning experiences that will give our graduates competitive advantages in contributing to and leading in an increasingly diverse and rapidly evolving world
- Expand the scope and relevance of our research by opening opportunities to benefit from the competitive advantage of diverse and inclusive projects and teams
- Enable more meaningful service engagements within the college, university, region and world by incorporating a focus on the needs and strengths of all communities
Leadership task force
- Develop a written plan of communication specific to diversity and inclusion, complete with target audiences, messages and methods
- Confirm human and financial resources designated for practical support of CoDI's strategic plan
Research and measurement
- Design and implement an assessment of the current climate for diversity in the college
- Define a measurement plan indicating the types of metrics that will be used to evaluate efforts in diversity and inclusion
- Inventory the educational activities related to diversity and inclusion that currently exist in the college
- Plan and oversee implementation of one additional educational activity related to diversity and inclusion
- Develop a report showing the existing profile of the college on race and gender, along with comparison data from competing institutions and/or available qualified pool data
- Develop a report on the current process for student recruiting with recommendations for strengthening the process with respect to diversity and inclusion goals
- Create a list of proposed and measurable diversity and inclusion goals, both short and long term
- Write a definition of the place of diversity and inclusion in the accountability system of the college